Poor attempt at nighttime photography.

sublimelbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first attempt at nighttime photography. I know these aren't good, but thats why i posted it here. If you see anything that could have been done differently to make these better, i'm sure a lot, i would appreciate some advice.

Problems with #1, #2
The light is too low, and... is that a saturn?

Underexposed, but has potential.

Second best of the lot. Get the cars while they are moving. Maybe set a higher aperature for a longer exposure.

Gorgeous work. Now straighten the image.

These are great first attempts. It all comes in time.

thanks for the advice.

I have no idea if that was a saturn.

For #4 is this one better, i shot it right before the posted shot.

not bad. You kind of have some weird, in between shots here. By that I mean, normally, you would either do a panning shot where you keep the moving car in focus and blur the background, or keep the background in focus, and see the light streaks from the cars. You are kind of on the fence between these, especially with 1 and 2 posted first. Both are kind of blurry. In the last one you just posted, it's kind of weird to see such a short motion blur on the lights... maybe try a longer shutter speed? What kind of camera are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

if possible, tighten your aperture, that'll give you some neat star shapes on the lights, or at least tighten it a bit just to stop the lights from blooming like that

thanks for the advice. These were taken with a sony dsc-h2 point and shoot :x By the end of the week i'll have a 30d and 70-200 4l ! Then i'll have another go at this task and hopefully have some more success. ( i know the photographer makes the picture not the camera, but it sure wont hurt)

i used to have a H1, that was a great camera, in my opinon probably almost the closest you can get to a dSLR without actually stepping up (i'm sure someone on here disagrees though, so its just an opinion. but at least you have the manual settings so you have a lot to work with

Most reactions

Back