Porfolios - Bound Paper Book or iPad

I think that show casing a photo on the iPad is the reason the iPad was invented. I can't say enough good things about it.

However, it depends what your customers are going to do with the photos. If they are going to print them (more and more people keep just digital copies) then its worth showing you know enough about printing to do a good job

Posting to update my opinion:

So I've had my iPad 3rd generation since the 16th (yes, I pre-ordered like a nerd lol) and I've been on two client meetings with it. Won both jobs. Why? I say it's because I didn't have to say, "My portfolio is on my website" but could instead show them, in person, my images on a BEAUTIFUL hi-res screen in a (roughly) 8x10 size. I put it in their hands, let them scroll through the photos, and the questions that followed were astounding.

"Can you make me look like that?" - A bride
"Ours won't be that good, will it?" - A groom
"We'll get photos like this of US?" - A bride

Before, I'd done client meetings/interviews with nothing but the contract and the assumption that they'd seen my work on my website, now they have something to see & feel in their hands. That adds value. And being that 90% of my clients are sub-35, they're VERY tech-savoy and LOVE the iPad.

I'd put this in the top 3 investments I've made into my photo business. Highly recommended!

I'm typing on my new iPad now as well. The only reason I purchased this new one was because of the screen. There are plenty of people out there who have still never held an iPad in their own hands. The wow factor of seeing such hi-res images in their hands is very powerful! I'd say even more so than a bound portfolio. Not to say that the iPad should replace the portfolio, just complement it. I usually meet with the client after they're contracted to discuss how they want to receive their images. That's where having a bound portfolio is nice. I make at least as much off print sales as I do off session fees and DVDs of images...

I need to upgrade. I have the first gen with the unlimited data. I'm so nervous that as soon as I buy the new one, ATT will mess up and I will lose my unlimited data plan.
For weddings though, I do have a sample album. I want to make sure they know what they are getting in that case.

Most reactions

Back