Portfolio book

Well, mostly they will be 8x10's, but at least one, I want to be an 8x12...so...the 8 1/2 x 11 1/2 won't work, I guess. Do you think a bunch of 8x10's (and one 8x12) will look bad in an 11x14? This is why I was asking about matting them. Do you think it would look bad matted?

Well, i personally would do all matte or no matte. It looks better. The plus of no matte is that you can put two photos in one sleeve therefore making your buy less portfolio books. You see the 8x10's can move around in the 11x14 book which can make them lopesided and such making it look sloppy but it isn't to bad. If you matted the 8x10s on 11x14 matte then it wouldn't move around but you have to buy two books just to get the same amount of room. Is that 8x12 that important? You could for your larger than 8x10 prints matte them and then put them into a portfolio box.
http://www.archivalmethods.com/Product.cfm?categoryid=4&Productid=59
those ones are expensive but something like that.

I think the very best way would be to have 8"x10" prints in 11"x14" mats (or something like that). You can get clear mylar envelopes to protect the photos from handling, fingerprints, etc... Keep ten or a dozen in a presentation box. Either set up the matted portraits, or let the client hold them in front.

I've used archival tape to attach photos to the standard black pages that come with the Itoya. I've also printed gelatin silver prints with a big white border (so the print fits the sleeve snug) that sort of looks like a mat. It would be easy to print from files this way too; you could combine several smaller photos in a full page layout that would fit the sleeve of the album you buy.

Thanks...I think I am gonna go with the 11x14...and do what kmattsfish said and attach with archival tape...that sounds like a good idea to me. :)

Thanks everyone!!!! You've been a great help!

Yup, thats a great idea kmattsfish with the tape because its cheaper than matte. Only question is does the tape show much?

warped_baller said:
Only question is does the tape show much?

I'm using a single layer of double sided tape. It's pretty thin.

My biggest complaint with the Itoya portfolios is that the plastic sleeve surface gets scuffed, and I feel like I need to pull some of the photos out for the client to see the real deal.

Well, it is fairly inexpensive compared to some that I saw...and it's just a starter for now...I already ordered it though. :)

there are many places online to buy them. You can also find them at office depot or office max. You want to decide on 8x10 or 11x14. Personally I think 8x10 would be best just because they are smaller and easier to carry. Also you want to put a good selection of your best work in there but don't over do it. When someone is looking at your book you don't want them to look at hundreds of photos. Just give them an example of your work. even though you could use smaller photos in the pages use all the same size photos don't have 8x10, 5x7, etc....... Make them all the size of the book IE 8x10.

If you really want to get fantasy there are companies and if you want to buy the program that make business card cds, that have a portolio and any other info you want on it, usually made with a macro media program, someone can navigate the cd like a web page. I can only image those are expensive to have done unless you happen to have the program to make them yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back