portrait C&C

That was at 2.8 (max for this lens).
Few lenses deliver good sharp focus when used wide open.

That's why experienced photographers usually stop a lens down at least 2 stops when they want tack sharp focus. Most lenses will deliver their sharpest focus at around f/8.

What are you going to use an 85 mm f/1.2 for? Many struggle with focusing issues using a f/1.8 lens because the DoF can get extremely shallow at wide apertures, though a f/1.2 lens a minimum of 2 stops down would be at f/2.5, but would still likely deliver it's sharpest focus at around f/5.6.

Ok here is one from the same day. She is looking up, still at f/2.8. Next time I will step it down a bit to see how that works. Per gsgary's C&C I attempted to bring up the exposure a bit on this one and left out any color modification/effects.
IMG_1902_1_.jpg

How would I bokeh the back out more? If I step down the aperture won't that increase my DOF thereby decreasing the blurred background effect?

Much better, the only way to blur the background more is to get closer
Here's one of my little lad from about a year ago shot at F4 but at 180mm

974047254_DnzZ8-L.jpg

I will try that, the lens I was using was a 28-75mm f/2.8 and I believe that pic was at 44mm. I will push it out next time closer to the 75mm range or give the 18-200mm a go. Thanks for the tips and the C&C.

petto said:
I will try that, the lens I was using was a 28-75mm f/2.8 and I believe that pic was at 44mm. I will push it out next time closer to the 75mm range or give the 18-200mm a go. Thanks for the tips and the C&C.

Also having a less busy background will help. Find a place like an empty field or someplace with trees/bushes way off in the distance. The background will look better if it isn't cluttered with stuff and if there is a lot of distance between subject and background.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back