Portrait Lens (Maybe Macro Too?)

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by rap77oh, Nov 2, 2015.

1. rap77oh

rap77oh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So, like many of us, most of my photo gigs are portraits. I mainly shoot with my 24-105mm f/4L for portraits (on the long end) and I use that lens (almost) exclusively for my wedding videography. I am starting to get more work as a wedding photographer and thought getting a great prime portrait lens that also has macro abilities would be a great combo for weddings.

So with portraits being the primary driving factor, give me your wisdom on these lenses for photos:
    • Canon 85mm f/1.8
    • Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    • Canon 100mm f/2
    • Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    • Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro
    • Sigma 105 f/2.8 Macro
    • Something else I haven't thought of???
    Thanks!

OOOPS- Realized I posted in the Camera thread and not the lens thread. Sorry but I can't figure out how to delete it or move it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    Macro lenses are usually not very good portrait or field telephoto lenses. The focusing mechanism in all macro lenses that I have ever seen (except the MF Zeiss macros) have HAIR-TRIGGER focusing movement beyond about three feet. The focus on some can go from Infinity to 3 meters in as little as three to four millimeters of focusing ring movement. AF systems work on a "close enough" type of system...take a tele-macro or short macro out and use it for a full portrait session and you'll soon see the results disappoint, with MANY more OOF shots than a field tele will absolutely nail, dead-on in focus.

Tamron 90...has this problem. Canon EF 100/2.8 internal focus model has this problem. Sigma 180/3.5 EX HSM has this problem. Nikkor 55 and 60 2.8 macros have this issue...and the list goes on.

I cannot imagine using a tele macro for videography at weddings...no way. I would always look at something designed for people work.

I would strongly consider the Canon EF 100/2 as a nice people lens; a friend from years ago had one and it is an awesome people lens....truly a gorgeous imager, yet it has almost no following!! Probably because it does not have the L-series red ring, but it is a lens that creates really lovely images.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rap77oh

rap77oh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I figured that must be the case (I've never used a Macro). It's weird that nobody seems to talk about the 100 f/2. I am currently leaning that way.

4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You can just send a mod a PM note, and the mod can move it.

5. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You have four of them listed in your signature. And you want a fifth one to use for something for which it may only be marginal at best. (see Derrel's post)

IMO, there's nothing wrong with a professional-quality zoom, so why have you decided against a zoom?

6. Punisher911

Punisher911 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [/QUOTE]You have four of them listed in your signature. And you want a fifth one to use for something for which it may only be marginal at best. [/QUOTE]

He doesn't even have a signature line. He listed a set of choices for us to give him our opinions on....

On topic though, the OP didn't mention what camera he is using. Full frame or crop.... I wouldn't personally try to use a macro lens for portraits and vice versa. For a FF camera, I would shoot for a 85mm for portraits though.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. rap77oh

rap77oh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a 6D and the 24-105mm f/4L. I will be adding something between the 85-100mm focal length for portraits (as that's the range I like taking portraits at currently). It seems like I should ditch the macro idea for the time being and just grab a solid portrait lens. It'll either be the 100mm f/2 or 85mm f/1.8 (most likely).

And yes, I was listing lenses I was considering. I don't own those.

8. Punisher911

Punisher911 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    6D? I'd go with the 85mm for portraits for sure then. Then save up for the 100 macro later. lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit

I think you'd probably find the 85mm/1.8 Canon EF to be the handier, more-versatile lens, especially now that we have high-megapixel, high-resolution cameras that allow some post capture cropping without much loss of image quality. The 85 gives you the wider angle of view, which can be cropped down to simulate a 100mm angle of view pretty easily.

• Like Like x 1