What's new

Portrait - light

Zachery

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 4, 2009
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
united kingdom
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I just visited the link to portrait taking for beginners, given by a group member. Very interesting stuff, but I've got just one question. When they mention use of light, eg using foil or a white box, am I to assume that you need to take the picture using the flash, or can you take it without?

Thanks in advance.
 
Hi, I just visited the link to portrait taking for beginners, given by a group member. Very interesting stuff, but I've got just one question. When they mention use of light, eg using foil or a white box, am I to assume that you need to take the picture using the flash, or can you take it without?

Thanks in advance.

Generally yes, you need light sources. It doesn't have to be a strobe, but they're generally the best option as you have the most control over them. A light source could be anything from the sun, to a desk lamp.
 
eg using foil or a white box
Those are light modifiers....things that help you to shape and control the light. Not actual light sources.

Yes, a flash can be your light source, but it doesn't have to be.

And if you are talking about the camera's built-in flash...then no, that is not what you want to use at all.
 
Thanks, Big Mike, that's what I thought.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom