What's new

Portrait of a different type.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
230
Location
Baltimore
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thought I'd share this one. Nothing special, but I like it. I love the black background you get from shooting a bright object into shadowed areas. :mrgreen:

Nikon D300s
Sigma 180mm F/3.5 EX DG HSM APO IF Macro

DSC_51621.jpg


And this one's just to attest to the Sigma's incredibly good bokeh. No polygonal shapes to be seen at all, even stopped down to F/5!

DSC_5072.jpg


Please comment!
Mark
 
i love the duck portrait, it is unique and really detailed and has good focus on the eyes. im a little jealous of the lens, its on my wish list
 
Thank you kindly. I love the lens. I got it at an incredible price in new condition with the case. It's a brilliant lens! A little hard to handy hold at 1:1 sometimes, but all in all, it's a beautiful lens. I wouldn't trade it for Amy other. Besides maybe the new 150/2.8OS. :mrgreen:
 
I agree with iamsneaky13 about the duck portrait. Totally unique. I'm tempted to suggest trying to see how it would look after cropping some of the negative space – in my mind it needs either a bit more or a bit less black. Crop or not, it's a beauty.
 
Thank you. I agree, Id like a bit more. I'd like it I I could get it on the bottom and right side, but the way the photo was shot, I could only crop to the top and right. I'll look into seeing what I can do, though, and I'll repost my results. :)

Thank you again!
Mark
 
The duck photo must be one of those "You either love it or hate it" photos.

It's hard to really explain, but it feels a little awkward. Like my eyes need to work for a second focusing to see what the photo is of. I also have a pet peeve with any photo where the subjects' eye is not framed by the face. I realize this can't easily be done with a front facing duck shot straight on, so I would have had to shoot from a little more to the right.
 
I couldn't agree with you more. I think the eye isnt nearly as dominant as it should be, but, like you said, I couldn't get the pose I was looking for, and get the eye to be more dominant. I went in knowing exactly the shot I wanted, but I didn't quite realise how the eye was going to fall to the backside so harshly until after the photo was taken. I agree with you completely, though. :thumbsup:

Mark
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom