Portrait Session

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking senior photos for one of my friends, and after attempting a shoot in a nearby bamboo forest (not nearly enough light) we went ot a local dam and I got these shots. What do you guys think? Any tips? cuz i'm sure i'm gonna have several more sessions w/ her.

15_p352.jpeg

15_p353.jpeg

15_p354.jpeg

15_p355.jpeg

15_p356.jpeg

The shots seem underexposed and out of focus to me. May I try to lighten one up and repost?

That's what I was afraid of. I wasn't positive if the exposure was my monitor or not tho. And the focus, i've been having problems wiht that for a while. After this shoot, i decided i think its the lens I'm using. I'm gonna start using a differnet one to test out that hypothesis.

Here's a corrected version (I'll remove this if you wish). It's based on my best guess of what the colors might have been.

15_p356b.jpg

I'm with Deb on the colors and focus. But, composition wise I think you're onto a good start. I really like the 3rd one down. I also think you're doing a great job getting a natural looking expression and smile, which can be one of the hardest things to do in portrait work.

I agree with Alison about the composition. I especially like the third as well. Just get the colors and focus and you'll have some great shots!!!

use flash!!! those shots look as if they were done without it! and practise a bit with focus... for example on the second shot... she is unsharp...

i kinda like the etheral quality they have in the low light but they do need a bit more yes..
the composition is really good.

i would use a flash but only in rear mode so you allow existing light to help balance. just me 2 cents.

How fun!

I like 2 (composition and feel but needs a little something) & 5.

Personally, I don't like the pose in 3. It looks very unnatural (as in "i have to keep my left hand here or I'll fall over").

#2 is AWESOME (if you can just fix that focus as you said)!!! Your composition is right on target, just lighting and focus... dito everyone else's comments...

Are you manually focusing? #2 looks as though you were focused a tiny bit in front of her. The stone looks in focus. You have to be very careful when you have that narrow of a dof.

I think that the lighting problems are more just me being stupid and underexposing on accident instead of needing a flash. I'll definitly have it with me tho just in case. I way also a little irritated w/ my flash because we had just left another location with not nearly enough light, and I could not find a way to get the background lit well enough to show up and still have her lit well. (I was using my external flash in wireless mode for backlight and built in for key)

As far as focus goes, I was using a 135mm lens that i got off of ebay for cheap, that i've been having problems focusing with. From now on i'm gonna go w/ my pentax lens in auto-focus. Luckily, she wants to go back to this same location (and I can use the excuse that I was rushed).

(as in "i have to keep my left hand here or I'll fall over").

Very much the case. Luckily we were sliding down the thing at about the same rate, so that sort of worked out for us.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back