portrait (train wreck )

fauxto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is an 1864 tintype of my wifes great great grandmother, scanned. It is scratched, intentionally engraved, stained, and basically trashed. Anyone want to try a reconstruction of this proper New England lady?

2pzd95l.jpg

eh.... im not sure if i like how this turned out, but ill throw it up anyways

oldtin.jpg

I should be able to patch it up but won't be able to get to it until this evening.

Okay, after a little initial work, I am here:
2pzd95lcopywc9.jpg

The hair is going to be the most challenging part. And then I'll have to go back and repair/smooth out the rest. But it's do-able. I'll post another when I get some more done.

Max,

That is very wonderful. If i sent you a higher rez pic could you do your magic? Before you go any further, i mean. i would love a copy high rez to make a 5 x 7 from.. will you share your technique, or is it proprietary?

Ken

Ok, about 5 minutes worth of work in Capture NX and Photoshop, more to come later, I was just doing this in my morning coffee break.

I can get it much better later.

woman2.jpg

Anybody can feel free to steal this copy and improve on it if you like.

I popped up the contrast which added the visualness of the scratches, I will fix that later. Also, I will "de-whiteline" it and clean up the skin tones, plus drop the background to a much darker black.

Max,

That is very wonderful. If i sent you a higher rez pic could you do your magic? Before you go any further, i mean. i would love a copy high rez to make a 5 x 7 from.. will you share your technique, or is it proprietary?

Ken

I'm more than happy to share my technique, and to work on a high res copy. I'll most more later. You can send it via PM.

Having done more than a few restoration of tintypes, may I suggest that you might be better off copying the original with a digital camera, using good cross-lighting, instead of scanning it.
Scanning emphasizes all the flaws and stains, and creates a lot more problems than you need for a project this tricky.

Sandspur, thank you, i will shoot the original s you suggest. ken

Most reactions

New Topics

Back