Portraits - C+C plz

christm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey There,

Well today myself and a friend went to the local woods for some portrait photography. She was the model and I was the photographer.

I recently got my 50D and have now got a pair of flash triggers, connected to a speedlight 430ex.

Anyways, here the pictures linked via my site,

Please DO NOT copy or distribute these.

My Photos - click Portrait shoot

A little dark for my liking and they also look a little soft although its kinda hard to tell with the image size.

Yeah its the first time i've used the triggers. However I was going for the dark / half shadow effect.

I had to use a slightly slower shutter speed due to the poor light, but not so much that it was blurred. I also didn't want an extremely high ISO because of noise.

Thank you for your feedback though

Although I must say, my favorite shot is number 11

Any more Comments ?

I was going from the second link b/c I couldn't see much of anything from the first. Many are out of focus or at best soft focus. They're so underexposed, it's hard to make out anything but a feature here and there.

Hi there,

The extreme exposure setting to create the under exposure was deliberae, I wanted it dark, mysterious and like this.

I see what you mean in some of them by slightly soft, however this was due to lack of another tripod as the flash was on my main one.

For a first attempt with my flash triggers I think they're ok.

As for the size / quality on the two sites larger versions can be found when you click on the thumbnails on www.templemurray.com

Chris

i think they got progressively better as i clicked through. last one being my favourite. i would have liked to see more of her face though. and i know you were going for the half lit face look.

Ok thank you for the C+C. Yes I totally agree with the getting better comment. It was my first attempt with flash triggers to my last attempt, with several skipped in between obviously.

Thanks for the feedback, when I next take some portraits I will post them.

You used a flash.. but still had to have a slow shutter speed?

Why?

Honestly I don't like any of the pictures. They do nothing for your model.

Can't tell much about her.. or much about the pictures at all.... So.. I guess if you were going for mysterious.. Then you got it... Its just not very pleasing.. heh.

Also.. to comment on your site... It just doesnt feel very user friendly.

Well I guess you made your point.

What is it you don't like about the site - Simple menu system, album layout, click on the thumbnail for a larger preview = simple = good

Well I guess you made your point.

What is it you don't like about the site - Simple menu system, album layout, click on the thumbnail for a larger preview = simple = good

You click on a thumbnail, and it instantly puts you in a small slide show... not the gallery... I realize there is a button above the initial image to take you to a gallery of the images... that just doesnt work well in my opinion. If people dont realize that right away.. its just a hassle and frustrating.

If the site is for photo's, then it should be about that.. not about all the dead space on it. From how small the pictures are.. You can hardly tell much about them. I want to view pictures... not all the dead space and that side bar you have.

Since it is flash... and you are viewing the slide show.. If you see a picture you want to see again.. and the slide show changes.. you click back.. It exits you off the site.. or to the previous link in the site that you were at. So then you go back to your page.. and have to go through the slide show again to get to that picture, that is unless you have figured out prior that there is another way to make it to a gallery.

Also, on any computer with a decent resolution.. the text is just tiny.. and I'm only at 1280x1024.

The main thing I find non user friendly about it.. Is the flash... Its busy, stuff happens when you don't want it to.. and it takes a moment to figure out how to do what you want to do correctly.

You click on a thumbnail, and it instantly puts you in a small slide show... not the gallery... I realize there is a button above the initial image to take you to a gallery of the images... that just doesnt work well in my opinion. If people dont realize that right away.. its just a hassle and frustrating.

If the site is for photo's, then it should be about that.. not about all the dead space on it. From how small the pictures are.. You can hardly tell much about them. I want to view pictures... not all the dead space and that side bar you have.

Since it is flash... and you are viewing the slide show.. If you see a picture you want to see again.. and the slide show changes.. you click back.. It exits you off the site.. or to the previous link in the site that you were at. So then you go back to your page.. and have to go through the slide show again to get to that picture, that is unless you have figured out prior that there is another way to make it to a gallery.

Also, on any computer with a decent resolution.. the text is just tiny.. and I'm only at 1280x1024.

The main thing I find non user friendly about it.. Is the flash... Its busy, stuff happens when you don't want it to.. and it takes a moment to figure out how to do what you want to do correctly.

Hi There,

I've adjusted the photo gallery settings (more thumnails for the front end to be added). I think its better : My Photos

Most reactions

New Topics

Back