Possible to use the nice lens from an older film type camera on a modern digital?

hoffmanxtreme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I really dont know anything about cameras but. . . I have an older camera from my dad and I was wondering if I can use the lens off it to attach to a modern camera. This camera is so old it uses film and would be no good now. . . but maybe the lens could be used on something else more modern lol? Here are the specs that I can find on the camera:

RICOH XR-P Camera

Lens:
62 diameter,
Rikenon P Zoom 1:4-5.6, 35-200mm Macro

Adapters also exist. I checked both Canon and Sony, both are glass-less.

Given the space on these things, the K-mount must had a very long film to flange distance - a good thing for adapting to newer cameras. Most older camera designs had a pretty short film to flange.

haha. Look at me saying that film is out-dated. My bad guys. Like I said, I really dont know that much about cameras, I thought everything was digital now-a-days and that film was a thing of the past.

Anyways, does anyone know if that lens is any good and if it would be worth keeping and adapting to a newer canon or sony or anything really?

Off my thread topic - -You guys are saying that film is still very popular? Why would you want to use film in high-end photography these days? Digital seems like it would be the only way to get direct quality right to your sim card VS having film get developed and that would seem like you are sacrificing some quality of the picture doing it that way.

haha. Look at me saying that film is out-dated. My bad guys. Like I said, I really dont know that much about cameras, I thought everything was digital now-a-days and that film was a thing of the past.

Anyways, does anyone know if that lens is any good and if it would be worth keeping and adapting to a newer canon or sony or anything really?

Off my thread topic - -You guys are saying that film is still very popular? Why would you want to use film in high-end photography these days? Digital seems like it would be the only way to get direct quality right to your sim card VS having film get developed and that would seem like you are sacrificing some quality of the picture doing it that way.

personally, i would ditch the lens. invest in a good prime and get an entry level body for your dslr.

film is in fact very popular. other than the people who have kept it alive, there are a lot of younger folks who have reverted the opposite direction from digital to film because of the charming look it has. look at the whole lomography movement (even though i don't care much for lomo) and the amount of people getting back to classic 35mm slrs

also the availability of at home processing film equipment and affordability of some film scanners makes it quite easy to get a good turn-around time.

Why not get a roll of film, take some pics and have them developed, and see how well the camera works ? Just because it is old is no reason to assume it is junk. My local Costco does good developing / printing of 35mm very reasonably, so I intend to continue to use my ancient Olympus 35LC. There is no denying that digital images are quicker / easier to download & transmit, but as you can see from the other comments, 35mm is still a viable medium.

Most reactions

Back