Post-Processing Photos? Help?

LawrenceChiu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, I'm usually a landscape photographer but then my friends are suddenly telling me that I should do portrait and that I can make a few bucks later on. So... I really have no experience in portrait shooting so I'm just giving out free portrait shots to practice.
Give me some comments and critiques on it. How should I position myself to take this picture to make it better?
How should I take the picture? Is the subject too center? (probably). Can I correct my lighting? White balance too warm?
My camera: Canon XSi with 70-200mm f/4 Non-IS with no flash.

Also, what are some good tutorials online to process photos that I can find for free?
I would like the color to bloom more from this picture, etc.

Feel free to edit the picture below to giveme a clear idea on how I should edit the photo. (Original photo with no edit)
Thanks!

$IMG_5481.jpg

Don't photograph people in direct sunlight, the lighting contrast is too harsh.

Joe

It was actually a really really bright day today. I should have used fill in flash.

It was not possible at that time. We were require to stay in that spot. (Graduation stuff)

Edit: Are there any good article to give me suggestions/tips/steps on how to take outdoor portraits?

Last edited:
when shooting outdoors, especially for portraits, you want to shoot either early morning or near dawn. if the middle of the day is the only day, look for aq shaded area or shoot with the sun at your back. those are all solid tips and suggestions when shooting outdoors.

It was not possible at that time. We were require to stay in that spot. (Graduation stuff)

Edit: Are there any good article to give me suggestions/tips/steps on how to take outdoor portraits?

You couldn't move from that spot? That's serious.

If you have to shoot in a scene like that, and you have no light modifiers, then you are going to be stuck with crap. That's all there is to it.
Taking a photograph is capturing light, if the light is harsh and crap, then what does that leave you with?

You should get a firm grasp on what dynamic range is and how it plays into your images (sep between shadow and highlights).
In your specific situation, you can use a big diffuser held above your subject (assuming you have someone to help), but that would have done nothing for your background.

Understanding Dynamic Range in Digital Photography

Most reactions

New Topics

Back