Posting photos that show other peaple

I should note also that in the European Union, celebrities are going to court to fight harassement by the papparzi when they are out in public, with mixed success.

Key word here is harassment. Being harassed isn't the same as having your photo taken in public.
Celebs often have a whole posse of photographers jostling them and each other for that shot in a million. That's totally different from taking a few shots down the local park or in the high street.
As far as i know, if you're in a public area, and the photo is taken from a public area, then unless it shows you in a negative or derogatory way, there is nothing you can do about it.
How can you expect privacy when you go to a public place where other people are?

i was told that recent court decisions at least in Germany allow you to post images of random people taken in public places where photography is not generally prohibited.

(exceptions are if those are compromising photos or photos which discredit a person, or if taken out of context could damage the reputation of a person.)

you are not allowed however, to sell photos of random people without their consent / without a model release.

This all does not touch the copyright ... as the copyright ist always with the photographer ... just the useage rights are limited in some cases.

NEVER & NEVER publish it for money, or trophy.
just SHARE it.

As previously mentioned, money is NOT an issue, legally speaking. You can publish a photo of a person taken in a public place for money. It has been done for even up to $200,000. You can just NOT publish it to endorse a product or for advertising purposes.

skieur

Key word here is harassment. Being harassed isn't the same as having your photo taken in public.
Celebs often have a whole posse of photographers jostling them and each other for that shot in a million. That's totally different from taking a few shots down the local park or in the high street.
As far as i know, if you're in a public area, and the photo is taken from a public area, then unless it shows you in a negative or derogatory way, there is nothing you can do about it.
How can you expect privacy when you go to a public place where other people are?

Absolutely correct. I was merely pointing out that as a street photographer you should use common sense in the manner that you go about taking photos, so that you do not violate other laws.

skieur

i was told that recent court decisions at least in Germany allow you to post images of random people taken in public places where photography is not generally prohibited.

(exceptions are if those are compromising photos or photos which discredit a person, or if taken out of context could damage the reputation of a person.)

you are not allowed however, to sell photos of random people without their consent / without a model release.

This all does not touch the copyright ... as the copyright ist always with the photographer ... just the useage rights are limited in some cases.

What you have indicated is correct, as well.

skieur

Most reactions

Back