Potential upcoming gig wants the RAW files

@DepthOfFocus - Sounds like you have thought it all out.

If someone wants to jack with images they would have no problem, whether they are raw files, jpegs or scanned from an 8x10 they purchase. End users sometimes do crazy things. One can buy the finest bottle of wine, store it improperly and end up serving up something that guests would feel is garbage, painting the winemaker in a bad light. You simply can't totally protect your brand image.

That was what I was about to say.

These customers could edit any format anyways.

It looks to me that traditional photography needs to follow the trends. Whit everybody taking pictures all the time, it's only natural for a breed of customers will be interested in the RAW format for the simple pleasure of editing them. We've been selling DIY kits for everything from toys to garage built airplanes. Same is happening to photography.

Make whatever limitations to your contract to protect your image and give them the product they want. I'd still edit a few good shoots so they can see what they would be passing on and maybe sale more pictures. Or just keep the same pricing, making the edits "free".

Why alienate a potential long term customer ? Marriage ? So future anniversaries, kids, Holyday cards ....

I have turned down a few sessions because the client wanted to "edit" themselves. When someone sees the photos on social media and asks who their photographer was, its going to come back as you even if their edits changed the picture completely. I say pass if you can.

Ok, I'm curious. What happened in the end?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back