MisplacedAngler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4311969375_c5d071c90b_b.jpg

4311969369_6a86003df5_b.jpg

4311969361_bc53ae8ea0_b.jpg

Let me just start by saying that I'm a sucker for power station photos for some reason. I also work at a power station.

As far as your photos go, #3 is the best by far composition wise, however it has major noise issues and the white balance is a bit off. It could also use a general crop to get rid of some dead space around all sides.

#1 is the cleanest looking image, and I like the foreground in it, however I wish it was panned to the right a bit so that the building with lights wasn't cut off, and the cooling tower (main subject) is to the left of the frame.

#2 has a severe blue colour cast, and I'm not a fan of the composition. Again, should be panned to the right to include more of the building and have the tower off to the left.

I'd love to see you try these again if possible and repost in here.

Let me just start by saying that I'm a sucker for power station photos for some reason. I also work at a power station.

As far as your photos go, #3 is the best by far composition wise, however it has major noise issues and the white balance is a bit off. It could also use a general crop to get rid of some dead space around all sides.

#1 is the cleanest looking image, and I like the foreground in it, however I wish it was panned to the right a bit so that the building with lights wasn't cut off, and the cooling tower (main subject) is to the left of the frame.

#2 has a severe blue colour cast, and I'm not a fan of the composition. Again, should be panned to the right to include more of the building and have the tower off to the left.

I had crazy settings from experimenting with my camera from the night before and forgot to change them back, thus the noise on the last picture. I was kicking myself as this one was probably the best IMO, despite the noise. Also, I was a goober and couldn't figure out why my auto focus wasn't working.......maybe because it was set to manual focus. :x

Since I go by here every day to work, I plan on trying again and this time paying more attention to the settings on my camera.

What kind of power station do you work at? Nuke, coal, etc....

I love #3! The lights are so bright and they make the photo pop.

funny, i also work at a power plant. BWR nuke plant.

is the one above a PWR nuke plant? That cooling tower is huge. Looks like the tower they have at the Harris Nuke Plant near Raleigh.

Cool shots, I'd like to get my camera out here for a few, wouldn't happen though. Security don't play!

funny, i also work at a power plant. BWR nuke plant.

is the one above a PWR nuke plant? That cooling tower is huge. Looks like the tower they have at the Harris Nuke Plant near Raleigh.

Cool shots, I'd like to get my camera out here for a few, wouldn't happen though. Security don't play!

They're both PWR. The tower is 440 ft. There is lots of security here as well, but this is outside the protected area.

I had crazy settings from experimenting with my camera from the night before and forgot to change them back, thus the noise on the last picture. I was kicking myself as this one was probably the best IMO, despite the noise. Also, I was a goober and couldn't figure out why my auto focus wasn't working.......maybe because it was set to manual focus. :x

Since I go by here every day to work, I plan on trying again and this time paying more attention to the settings on my camera.

What kind of power station do you work at? Nuke, coal, etc....

Actually I work at a geothermal station ;) we look after 4 stations in the area, one of them has a big natural draught cooling tower which I really want to get out and photograph at some stage.

Most reactions

Back