PP Advice applied.

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Earlier in the week I posted a photo of my wife for C&C. (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/280590-how-would-you-crop.html)
I haven't had time to reshoot yet but here's a different photo from the same set applying the post processing suggestions received (I think). I brought out the fur wrap and the hair, cropped as suggested, applied a lighter background, adjusted the WB and lowered the exposure/brightness.

I am aiming at the classic American portrait studio style often used for high school graduation portraits in the 60s. This was my wife's era but she couldn't afford to have one done back then. The skin is fairly heavily processed (hey, we have 7 grandcildren!) but have I over processed given the style I'm aiming at?

She may not be sweet 16 but I think (I'm biased) she's pretty sweet for 60. ;)

Connie2A2.jpg

This would benefit from a nice bw conversion. I like the crop. She looks refined and has aged well. Now as for the pose I would have her tilt her head to the left with a slight turn to the right. The slight tile would align her eyes and the slight turn would position her nose better. Also this would bring her head to the middle of the frame. Very subtle adjustments but they would have a big impact.

Thanks for the positioning tips, Joe. I'll work on that next time I can get her in front of the camera.

As for the B&W conversion, I haven't done that much - here's my try, is it too bright?

Connie2A1-2.jpg

More like this....

Taylor by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

You want some of the highlights to be pure white but not the whole face. You need some gray tone or you lose all the definition. My friend told me she felt hot after seeing this.

More like this?

Connie2A1-2b.jpg

I took a quick look at the link, that looks like a tremendous resource!

Most reactions

Back