PP Airshow pic, cloning help

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I took a slew of pictures at the Air Show over the 4th. I have one picture which I liked, but had to remove junk from a few spots around the tail and I lost the "exhaust heat" look from the back side. Anyone know of a filter or anything to clone a look thats similar? The first pictures the plane without any editing, the second with the junk removed, but I had to remove the "Heat". See below, I am sure there is a name other than exaust heat.

_MG_0374.jpg

_MG_0374E.jpg

I think it is good the way it is. I dont think you are supposed to see that heat if there is grass behind it. You saw it only because you see the trash can in the back. The only thing you can do would be to blur the grass or try ripple effect on photoshop

Cool pic! It feels a bit over-exposed to me. It looks like you were able to keep a reasonable amount of the exhaust "mirage" (which is the word you were looking for, btw ;) ); it was mostly on the right side of the frame anyway. If you lowered the blue and aqua luminance a bit, you might draw a bit more color out of the sky.

The first time I saw a Harrier at an Airshow, it was at Miramar back when Top Gun was still out there. Seeing that thing scream up along the tarmack, slow to a halt, then slowly pivot towards the audience gives goosebumps. :)

I haven't done anything to it except for cloning out the garbage can, quad, runway light, and junk like that. I will adjust the colors and crap later. There are so many shots I took, so I am trying to get throught them. I think it lasted 5 hours, so there were many different jets, planes, helicopters, and hot air balloons.

I have a bunch of shots in the air, I want to post a bunch....but I hate when people post 20 pictures so I am TRYING to limit it down.

Hey man. I know what you mean - especially being an airplane lover. I was actually an aerial photographer for about 5 years. Anyways here's my best shot to help you out. Let me know what you think. I messed a bit with the colors...ill be honest...that part is not my strong point :grumpy:

JET_0374_CC.jpg

Last edited:
Well I scrolled up and down, up and down....I just don't see a change, but thanks for trying! lol, I just got done with one as well. Looks more blue on after posting it in here, but a little more vibrant than the original.

_MG_0374E-1.jpg

Kinda...but it just looks too fake. I think it'll be ok without it. I just wanted it to look like the first one without the trash container though.

I had a stab at it, fairly hard to do with so few pixels to "warp" and to actually see the effect.

Original on top.

harrier.jpg

Ryan, it looks fake only because you have seen the original. If you just post the edited version, nobody would question it.

Kinda...but it just looks too fake. I think it'll be ok without it. I just wanted it to look like the first one without the trash container though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back