Praticing with water

Skyclad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying something a little more creative while practicing with ISO, shutter speed and aperture for C&C. I have not touched them with photoshop or anything, they are just straight off the camera. So knowing that, what should or shouldn't I have done within the limits of my camera alone to improve these shots?

5314410377_e3844604f9_b.jpg

5314410375_a61d7a5059_b.jpg

Turn the faucet into one of the sinks and use some colour for a backdrop. Your focus is on the faucet base rather than the water. Pre focus where the water will be by placing the camera in manual focus and using a ruler or similar object in the position of where the water will flow. If you can get the flash off camera and at a different angle, that will help as well.

Thank you oldmacman. Just a few comments and questions to your reply.

The reason the camera isn't aimed at the faucet over one of the sinks is because I mainly wanted to get a good shot of the water splashing and spreading out from said splash

What would be good to use as colorful makeshift backdrops?

Yes, I do need to figure out how to use the manual focus on it. I will be reading up on that in the manual (im going slow with all this as to not overwhelm myself and keep it fun).

I don't have any off camera flash. The only thing I can think of would be to use a flashlight?

The reason the camera isn't aimed at the faucet over one of the sinks is because I mainly wanted to get a good shot of the water splashing and spreading out from said splash

Yes, I do need to figure out how to use the manual focus on it. I will be reading up on that in the manual (im going slow with all this as to not overwhelm myself and keep it fun).

I don't have any off camera flash. The only thing I can think of would be to use a flashlight?

I find the best way to learn is by trying and getting feedback. So hopefully my comments were helpful. If you want some varying water, try dividing the stream before it makes it into the camera frame. I have used a chip back in the past with great results. It's good because the bag doesn't break down with exposure to water and with a shallow DOF, you can't really tell what it is. I even had it refract a word into one the of the drops. I'll see if I can find that shot.

A flashlight won't throw much light. You'll be happier with the results from your on camera flash. Try the flashlight, though. You might get some interesting effects.

I find the best way to learn is by trying and getting feedback. So hopefully my comments were helpful. If you want some varying water, try dividing the stream before it makes it into the camera frame. I have used a chip back in the past with great results. It's good because the bag doesn't break down with exposure to water and with a shallow DOF, you can't really tell what it is. I even had it refract a word into one the of the drops. I'll see if I can find that shot.

A flashlight won't throw much light. You'll be happier with the results from your on camera flash. Try the flashlight, though. You might get some interesting effects.

Yes, your comments have been very helpful, thank you.

A chip, bag? you lost me there. I for a shallow DOF, the cameras DOF wont go shallow enough for a shot like that unfortunately.

I did try turning the camera on its side to get a tall, fuller length picture of the water, but all that did was cause a shadow to appear slightly to the left of the water on the sink.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back