Praying for Inspiration

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As I mentioned in a previous post, I recently spent time looking at old photos I never bothered to develop. I wanted inspiration that might get me back out looking for new pictures to make. This photo was captured way back in 2012, on an Olympus E-420. At the time, I guess I didn't see a good photo in it, but rather than delete it, which I have been known to do, I stuck it in an archive folder I hardly ever look through. I'm glad it was there and that I found I could do something with it. Lens was a 14-42mm and my settings were 14mm, f/5, 1/160s, ISO 100. I used Lightroom and Photoshop to develop what you see below.

quincy-methodist-church120527-01sm.jpg

Nice crisp conversion, but I'm not a big fan of part of the church cut off on the right. Also could use some vertical perspective adjustment.

Nice crisp conversion, but I'm not a big fan of part of the church cut off on the right. Also could use some vertical perspective adjustment.
Thanks for the feedback. All of the church is in the photo. That is a separate building on the right, as is the one in the back.

Maybe you could try a portrait crop of just the church
Straighten the vertical and even clone out the wires.
So was this a planned shot or a grab the moment?

All of the church is in the photo. That is a separate building on the right

Didn't catch that. In that case maybe crop the building off on the right and burn down the back ground?

So was this a planned shot or a grab the moment?
It was 7 years ago, so I can't be positive. It's pretty likely it wasn't planned, but not just a grab shot either. It looks like I took time to compose it. Here's a re-edited version, but I'm not sure yet that I like it as much as the one in my op. I'm trying to learn not to post a photo for public view without giving it at least several hours to gel in my own mind first.

quincy-methodist-church120527-04sm.jpg

@JimMcClain there's something about the perspective adjustment between the columns and the rest of the church that isn't quite right. Adjustments like this can be tricky, sometimes you just have to leave it at happy median. The crop on the right is better though I have to wonder if a little more would be better. As to the sepia tone, I much prefer the crisp B&W of the first. It's hard to improve on something already good.

@JimMcClain there's something about the perspective adjustment between the columns and the rest of the church that isn't quite right. Adjustments like this can be tricky, sometimes you just have to leave it at happy median.
I know what you mean. I'll look at it again later today. I've been up all night, so I probably shouldn't have tried a re-edit in my nearly nodding state of mind.

The crop on the right is better though I have to wonder if a little more would be better.
That one I'm pretty sure about... it wouldn't. ;)

As to the sepia tone, I much prefer the crisp B&W of the first. It's hard to improve on something already good.
I understand, but that's something I did because I preferred it to the plain B&W. I had to warm it up. Later today I might think it's a bit too much, I don't know. But I do know I wanted to alter the tonal quality some.

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the composition as originally presented. The eye is drawn immediately to the church's front columns, then wanders up to the steeple clouds and tree. The framing with the leaves and branches is also a nice touch. A really nice photo.

The toned print is interesting but it reminds me too much of a post card.

Loved the color composition. The top view is quite more interesting. The Black and white effect is evergreen.

Besides the tilting and signifiucant perspective distortion of the buildings, this is over-sharpened, I think.
Note the haloes at the arrows as examples and the greying of the columns at the front of the building.

upload_2019-5-2_9-30-49.png

Most reactions

Back