pre 1960s cameras

part of it is the electronics.. Certain batteries are unavailable, or require jury endless jury rigging.
Some of the ones I thought could be good, 35mm, you need a battery if you want the light meter to work or if you want the shutter to release and take a photo for you.

Right now I feel I have the 35mm world taken care of. Canon FTB Quick Load.

My question WAS for the Medium Format world, hence that forum.

Fujifilm is COMMON, and entire complete cameras and lens system going for about HALF of what a used Pentax MF lens goes for. As a result vintage systems do I am curious for that as well.

The TLR cameras do work, and can be found for a decent price. The thing is that I would like the possible option of close up perhaps macro work with it.
FYI:
I focused on the SLR as an overall statement. Ergo: Event he Med. Format SLRs. like the RB67 etc.
Teh RB 67 and similar cameras are not dependent on certain electronics. The battery is widely available and the camera is a solidely built tank.

But you were asking 1960's and older.
When in that range, Speed Grafix, Busch and the like made some incredible Med. Format (2x3) and the like that worked wonderfully.
The Kiev 88 and similar Hasselblasky types are ok but are heavily prone to failure of the shutter and winding mechanism and are typically with a moving curtain that can fail at the wrong time.

An older Hassy 500 can be head for relatively cheap, but youll pay for the glass. AND they can hold (v type) digital backs.

If your looking at the press type cameras, the sealing is easy, but the real issue is the shutter and glass.

There are tons of them out there, but be warned that repaire costs are high.

The Canon FTB takes an unavailable PX 625...You'll get further here with specific medium format model/system questions.

The use of obsolete batteries was my main concern. Hence one reason why the older "nearly all mechanical" cameras is of concern to me. And I have a visual issue with a lot of little dots of light all over the place and switches and dials.
Ive seen previews of SOME compact pocket digital cams that show them having "secondary controls" on top identical to say the canon FTB or even Canon AT-1 line up.

batteries.... not in any bad way but it surprised me a lot.
MR-9 adapter using 386 / SR43W
M20 button cell
PX625A alkaline

The FTB is a fine old camera but it's not pre-1960s. It was made in the 1970s.

If you're after a pre-1960s (meaning 1959 or older) medium format camera then there are lots of TLRs and folders available from Germany and Japan. There are some 1950s SLRs too like the early Hassy 500C and others but finding one of that vintage that works well today would be a challenge. If you want to do macro work, there are close-up lenses for TLRs that will at least get you closer than normal though they are awkward to use on a TLR.

This is a good book on using classic cameras:
https://tinyurl.com/y2w4462v

The Canon FTB takes an unavailable PX 625...You'll get further here with specific medium format model/system questions.

The use of obsolete batteries was my main concern. Hence one reason why the older "nearly all mechanical" cameras is of concern to me. And I have a visual issue with a lot of little dots of light all over the place and switches and dials.
Ive seen previews of SOME compact pocket digital cams that show them having "secondary controls" on top identical to say the canon FTB or even Canon AT-1 line up.

batteries.... not in any bad way but it surprised me a lot.
MR-9 adapter using 386 / SR43W
M20 button cell
PX625A alkaline

The Fuji X100 series cameras might be worth a look if digital+dials appeals.

Voigtländer Perkeo 1952-1956.....LOVE this thing!!!!

YC2FzkD.jpg

The FTB is a fine old camera but it's not pre-1960s. It was made in the 1970s.

If you're after a pre-1960s (meaning 1959 or older) medium format camera then there are lots of TLRs and folders available from Germany and Japan. There are some 1950s SLRs too like the early Hassy 500C and others but finding one of that vintage that works well today would be a challenge. If you want to do macro work, there are close-up lenses for TLRs that will at least get you closer than normal though they are awkward to use on a TLR.

This is a good book on using classic cameras:
https://tinyurl.com/y2w4462v

from the above, a book commonly bought with THAT one, is the description of this book:

"Discovering Cameras 1945-1965 (Shire Discovering) Paperback – March 4, 2008
by Robert White

Details how cameras and photography changed form 1945 to 1965. might be worth reading to get an idea of how to selects a camera that might fit into the 20-teens.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The new Fuji digitals are what you should look at if you like dials. My XT-3 has the same dials as my F3 and even as my '39 Leica iii.

On any note you can find all mechanical cameras (especially medium format) that were produced well into the 80's, you dont need to cap it at 1960. As for Jewels:
  • If price is no option a Hasselblad 500CM is where I would (and have) put my money. They simply cant be beat. The 500C is a decent buy as well. If you want to go older the 1000 series are out there but the in body shutter can be problematic.
  • Ive got a delightful Rolleiflex 3.5 that is more portable than the blad but you cant change lenses.
  • If you like TLR's but want to change lenses the Mamiya 33 (330 etc) is worth a look. I had one come through my collection recently but have not had time to try it out yet.
  • There are loads of folding cameras that take 120 film out there dating pretty far back. Make sure they actually take 120 film as some take other stocks that are long out of production. Kodak, voigtlander, and many others made these.
  • I think the Pentax 6x7 is all manual.
  • If you really want to shoot manual and not worry shoot large format
A not on all this. Ive had about 60 cameras pass through my collection at this point, most in mediocre condition and some in out right bad condition. The reality is that everything and anything can be sourced if you look hard enough. Batteries can be worked around or suitable replacements installed. Parts can be salvaged from donor cameras or even made on a hobby lathe at home. When in doubt things can simply be replaced. Limited editions aside most cameras saw pretty decent production numbers and a replacement can often be found.

ahhh i missed that as well

- hasselblad with a macro tube/bellows
- mamiya 33 (330) extends to the macro focus range
- any large format camera with sufficient rail length (and you can always put a 120 back on).

upload_2019-6-8_19-19-56.png

My main TLR here in the UK, from the early 1950s.

upload_2019-6-8_19-27-6.png

Similar era MPP MicroTechnical MkIII - I have another in bits but everything is there (£60 for both). This is essentially a British made Linhof Technika.

upload_2019-6-8_19-34-3.png

My 1950's Microcord. a British made Rolleicord with a very much sharper Ross Xpres lens, this is the sharpest of all my TLR cameras lenses, and that includes an Opton Tessar and a Xenotar. It's very subjective because even my YAshicamat 124's Yashinon is superb used well. It's sight differences at wider apertures thge Yashinon is softer, the OPton Tessar OK, the Xenotar excellent but the Xpres has an edge :)

Ian

Last edited:
Which of these can be considered jewels to look for?
Its more of a jewelry case than a jewel; but I have a Koni Omega Rapid 6x7 which was made in 1964. Go further back and get the Omega 120 which was made from 1953 to 1964. Very tough press cameras that made a name with their stellar yet limited lens selections.

The 1968 to 75 models gave Hasselblad a run for their money quality wise for wedding photographers on a budget.

@IanG, have you every had a Ricoh Diacord G ... I found the lens very good.

I don't think the Diacord was ever imported and sold here in the UK. We had very severe import restrictions after WWII which weren't lifted until the end of the 1950's, you needed a special license to import a camera from abroad. Shortly after the restrictions were dropped there was a recession here (early 60's) and many UK manufacturers closed, the currency was de-valued. Taxon luxury goods was close to 40%.

In the 50's and early 60's it was common for UK service personnel serving abroad to bring back cameras, my Rolleiflex E2 was bought by an RAF officer while serving in Singapore, he also bought a Minolta Autocord and a Voightlander, all Tax free. Many just bought to sell for a good profit on their return.

Ian

My initial thought was for some of the lovely old folding cameras I've picked up, but you do need to be careful of the film type if you plan on using them - many film formats are no longer available.
It is possible to add a close up filter to these but you'd need to arrange a framing grid & I really don't think they work well in the macro roll.
Large format options where you frame & compose on the ground glass (ie not with a sports finder) would be ideal for macro, many of these would fit your time frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back