Preserving RAW details?

vd853

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, so I just took a bunch of RAW (CR2, now PSD) pictures, and spent quite a while tweaking out this one picture with Photoshop CS3, but I notice that as soon as I convert it to a more common format (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, etc.) the picture comes out much less colorful and possibly lost some details too. I want to upload this picture, but I'm not sure if flickr allows RAW, CR2, or PSD uploads; though, I don't know if it will preserve all the details if they do allow the upload.

What colour profile are you exporting it to? What program are you using and what program are you opening it in? :)

I'm opening and exporting it with photoshop cs3. How can I check the profile?

I'm opening and exporting it with photoshop cs3. How can I check the profile?
With the image open in Photoshop:

At the bottom of the screen, in the left corner is a box next to the zoom %. The default for that box shows the document size (Doc: 39.4M/78.8M). You can click on the triangle at the right end of the box, click 'show' and select 'document profile' and it will display the image profile and color bit depth.

For web or print the profile should be sRGB (sRGB IEC61988-2.1 (8bpc)).

Some other profiles are AdobeRGB, ProRGB (Lightroom).

I have my cameras set to AdobeRGB because it has a wider gamut of colors. I do all my post processing in AdobeRGB or ProRGB but convert virtually everything to JPEG and sRGB for output to the web or for printing.

Here is some basic color management info.

I think I figured out the problem. The picture was processed using PS, but viewed using ACDsee, which is why they don't look the same. But, when I viewed the same picture using PS, it looks exactly as it did after the PSD to Jpeg conversion.

Most reactions

Back