Preston Marketplace.

John 2

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First post so just a taste of where I live. The building is the Harris Museum, soon to have its front wall demolished to make way for a grand staircase. I'm not sure why it's justified but...................?

Fuji X-T1 10mm super wide.
Market Square.jpg

Interesting shot!

After looking at the metadata I see that you took this nearly seven years ago. Any chance that you have an image after the stairs have been added?

I'm afraid not. The decision to add the stairs is fairly recent. Worth keeping in mind though as a bit of social history.

Quite a colourful shot there. Very vibrant.

I'm thinking the stairs will look good from an architectural point of view.

Thanks al for your comments.
@Warhorse/@Tyg. Now I am confused. I was going on a recent newspaper report which described a grand staircase down to the level of the flag market and indeed in conversation with a couple of local councillors recently (I won't bore you with details), they didn't correct me on the subject. However, Knowing the inside building, I can see where the original entrance probably was i.e. front and centre which would be where the new staircase is supposed to be. Time will tell.

Reactions: Tyg
Thanks Tyg, So the entrance always has been on both sides if the building. The funding is in place so the next couple of years should tell the tale.

Those side entrances are connected by a large corridor under the facade on the inner side of which is the main entrance door to the building. From memory, on the outer side directly opposite the main entrance, there is a square space that ends at the outer wall. I had thought that this might have been the original entrance, especially since the current two side entrances are a bit insignificant for such an impressive piece of architecture. But apparently not,

Reactions: Tyg
What used to be in front of the building? Was it always a market area for as long as you might recall?
Certainly in my lifetime and I suspect it always was.. The area in front is known s the Flag Market but these days is generally only used for special events. The actual market has now largely moved under cover and in doors (off to the left).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back