Preventing Dust tips

ang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've searched the forum for "sensor cleaning issues" on digital cameras, but how about preventable tips/techiniques.

I know dust is everywhere but.....can you share any tips you use to help "reduce" the chance of getting dust on your sensors?

Never change lenses :wink:

being serious, it's best to change lenses as infrequently as possible, and try not to change lenses in dusty conditions. Also, while changing lenses, make sure the camera body is pointed downwards so any dust falls out of the camera rather than in.

I don't worry about it too much though.

spiky_simon said:
Never change lenses :wink:

being serious, it's best to change lenses as infrequently as possible, and try not to change lenses in dusty conditions. Also, while changing lenses, make sure the camera body is pointed downwards so any dust falls out of the camera rather than in.

I don't worry about it too much though.

good advice, I use the same method (although I always seem to want to change lenses :) ). I've gotten to a point where I don't mind that much anymore, since I usually edit out the bad spots in post anyway.

I shoot a lot in Mexico and Peru where it is really dusty. If I only have one body with me and I have to switch a lens I carry a really big zip lock bag to do the switch. You just need to make sure you get the dust off everything before it goes into the bag so I also carry a handtowel to wipe everything down. I have also switched under my shirt, in a car, camera bag, etc. Most the time I have two bodies and don't have to worry about it.

Worst case, turn your back to the wind and keep the camera pointed to the ground lens first to do the switch.

Here are some other suggestions that are almost as practical as never changing lenses.

Leave your camera in the factory sealed plastic bag it comes in.
Shoot only in a vacuum.

;)

Or you can do what everyone else has to do: Learn to clean your sensor, and keep pressuring the manufacturers to figure out a better solution.

I still have never heard any excitement from an actual Olympus user about their ultrasonic cleaner. I wonder if it works?

Watch dust motes in the sunlight. Notice how they float up and down, anywhere the air currents take them. It doesn't matter which way your camera is pointed when switching lenses.

Supposedly turning off the sensor makes it less likely to attract dust, but most sensors on DSLRs are not powered down by turning the camera power switch to off.

Most reactions

Back