Pricing for a print not made by me?

Usually in my area a matted print can run maybe $25 for a 5x7 and on up from there depending on size.

The issue with providing a digital file, especially a hi res one, is you no longer have control over how it's used and there goes your original work. That's usually why the cost is high for an original/hi res digital file. If the buyer wants a print, photographers usually provide the print (because it's for one time personal use, to display).

I think if a hobbyist wants to give a friend a photo that's fine, but I think the OP is in business or aspiring to be a pro photographer - which means charging an appropriate amount for specific usage for your work.

...Essentially, I'm thinking that I would be selling the printing rights for a one-time print on the condition the digital file is deleted afterwards or something. Does that make sense?
Not unless you can enforce the deletion (and good luck with that), it doesn't. No.

Well he and I are friends so I don't think that would be an issue.

As for the company's money thing, please just try to think outside of that - that wasn't my question.

It's my impression that's it's perfectly fine. Maybe he worked it out with the boss.

I'd just like some feedback on the pricing.

It may not be the question but you are condoning it by giving/selling the digital file.

As for pricing, I would suggest doing your normal thing with it. (Oh and AFTER hours, so that the company won't come back and say you were working YOUR business on company time.)

So he wants the picture but not enough to pay your prices.
By charging him only a little bit, you are both giving away your property and saying that all your time and skill means just a little.
I would think that selling him rights to use would cost more than a single print.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

I'd charge him the fifty bucks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back