Pricing my photos

gapinthevoid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.xanga.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys. I recently was given the go-ahead to display some of my photos at a local microbrewery here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. They're either Fibre or RC black and white silver gelatin prints in a basic black frame. I have no idea what prices to put on these... so if anyone has a ball park suggestion or knows of any websites or books that I can find this information in, I'd be ever so grateful!!

Thanks

put a stupid high price on them....why not?......no seriously though - that's a tough question........too low is almost worse than too high

gapinthevoid said:
Hey guys. I recently was given the go-ahead to display some of my photos at a local microbrewery here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. They're either Fibre or RC black and white silver gelatin prints in a basic black frame. I have no idea what prices to put on these... so if anyone has a ball park suggestion or knows of any websites or books that I can find this information in, I'd be ever so grateful!!

Thanks

Treble the reproduction cost and add 30%?

Rob

Check to see what other local photographers are selling their prints for. It can vary a lot depending where you are, and it's usually not good to drop your prices later. If anything, start on the low side and then go up. Here in Rochester, everyone seems to believe that taking a picture is as easy as pointing the camera and clicking a button. One of the drawbacks to being the home of Kodak and their marketing. Last I knew, prints that could go for $200 here could be priced at $300 in Buffalo, a city less than an hour away. Photographic art just doesn't seem to sell as well here.

Post them up and I'll value them :greenpbl:

No seriously you could use a formula like Rob says but that really means your work is run of the mill average where you can apply a law to it. I'd look at other peoples work in the locality and even stuff thats been sold there before. Price yours as a ratio of the price of others corresponding to your work in cmparisson to yours. Then add on a little bit for being self critical and bingo!

In kalamazoo in local coffee shops and other such places where non professionals sell pics prices are 40-50 for 8x10's. (assuming your a non professional) I'd go 5-10 dollars cheaper in the UP.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back