Primes

.Serenity.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love mt 50 Prime for Canon. Its a beautiful thing. I have a 70-300 zoom so i have that distance covered, but i would like a prime on the wide angle of the spectrum. My limit is probably around $600, Any ideas and why that lens.
Thank you. :)

Run a google on these two lenses, the 2.8 is generally below that price range and the 1.4L genarally exceeds the $600 range but I have seen refurbished 1.4L lenses run well below that below that price.

Canon EF 24mm f/2.8

Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L USM

Run a google on these two lenses, the 2.8 is generally below that price range and the 1.4L genarally exceeds the $600 range but I have seen refurbished 1.4L lenses run well below that below that price.

Canon EF 24mm f/2.8

Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L USM

Problem is that, if the OP uses a camera with an APS sized sensor, 24mm is not really wide. To the OP: what camera do you use and how wide do you want your lens to be?

Problem is that if the OP uses a camera with an APS sized sensor, 24mm is not really wide. To the OP: what camera do you use and how wide do you want your lens to be?

Well the only lenses the OP has to choose from to my knowledge are
Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM - Well into the thousands
Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye - Averaging a little over the stated budget
Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM - Should fit the budget
Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 - Should fit the budget
Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L USM - Could be found within the budget
Canon EF 35mm f/2
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM

I don't know anything about third party lenses so I don't know what is available, on top of that, my Knowledge on EF lesnes is limmited, so my list of available primes may be off.

I don't own Sigma lenses but I recall they have some wide angle primes that might be in your price range. Perhaps someone with one will chime in.

Im using an XTI. I was looking at the 20 and 24 mm, but i dont know how good they are. There isnt a camera store anywhere near me other then Best Buy and that is 60 miles away. Not that they have any prime lenses in stock for Canon, my store has about 10 Nikon lenses and 3 Canon. So i cant test anything out. I was really hoping for people who are using primes to let me know how they operate.
Thanks. :)

Stick with maker glass... Canon, Nikon, etc. Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina might have a good design or two but in almost every case they are of an inferior IQ, build, and function. If your budget is a few hundred short start a piggy-bank and wait it out - you'll be very glad you did I think.

In most (but not all) cases I agree with Bif.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back