Lyncca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lynccaharveyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

I'm just wondering, when you take a photo, how much room do you leave to ensure that all of the available print sizes will not end up cropping into the subject of the photo?

I have worked to do my composition through the lens and not in PP, but this leaves it many times where 8x10s (especially) and other sizes end up having people's heads or feet chopped.

Is there an equation to use to make them all work without shooting square in the middle with a ton of empty space around your subject?

Also, how much additional space do you put for framing?

Thanks for any advice :)

This is just something you pick up with practice and experience. You need to remind yourself, while shooting, to leave some space for cropping. You can also try to visualize the aspect ratio that you expect you might print at. With a little practice, you should be able to imagine what an 8x10 print will look like, when looking though the viewfinder.

Cropping is so easy, I don't usually bother to take extreme care when shooting...if in doubt, leave some extra room and crop if you need to, even if the aspect ratio is the same.

I know what you mean Lyncca. You want to do a crop so that 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10 prints can be made without cutting something off. I have that same issue, therefore I cant really help..haha. I usually crop everything to a 5x7. That way not AS much is cut off in an 8x10...

I agree with Mike, it all comes with time, as you shoot you will know how much you want to leave extra; although I have to say I always try to shoot as it was getting printed. Best photographer don't need to adjust their photos much.

Some photographers even leave room for a title or headline because the expect their shots to be on the cover of a magazine.

that's very true, I guess it all comes down to what/who are you shooting for.

I don't worry about it too much when shooting. If I find that, say, an 8x10 just won't work well I have a couple of options. If the cropping issue is minor I free transform the sides a bit. Otherwise I suggest an 8x12 (or any other full frame crop) instead.

I just shoot everything at 50MP and give them 40,000gig sized pics for them to crop as they want... lol

More seriously, Mike did hit it on the head. As you shoot more, you will start to think with the end result in mind, and you will orient and compose to match. No matter what, I always try to give myself some extra breathing room. One doesn't know how deep the frame will cut into pic space, so I go a little more than I need to all the time.

Most reactions

Back