Printer ...

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Soo ... we've decided to think about a digital darkroom (it will be a while before I can build a silver wet darkroom).
Is it worth it to get a pro photo inject printer ?
Is the price too high per print vs. getting a lab to print/ship them (note I am in Canada)?

Was looking at the Epson Stylus Photo R2880 ($650) or the Canon Pixma Pro-10 ($500).

I guess it depends on how often you will print, how quickly you want the prints and how much control you want over your prints.
Only you know the answers to these.
Me? I love the convenience of printing at home and getting instant gratification. Beautiful prints - stunning.
Something to think about - the ink costs of printing with an Epson 3880 is about half those of an A3+ printer.
The 3880 uses 80ml tanks and cost/m is significantly less. When I bought my 3880 I worked out that I was actually saving about $700 after replacing the equivalent amount of ink in an A3 printer.

As mentioned, it entirely depends on your personal situation and preferences.

I like the idea of a high quality printer, but the cost of ink and good quality paper pushes the cost very close to lab prices. There is also maintenance to think about. If you aren't using your printer enough, (and sometimes, even if you are) you have to run cleaning cycles to keep the heads clean (depending on the brand/type). That can use up expensive ink. Plus, if you don't print at home often, the time you do is probably because you need it right away...and that's when Murphy's Law strikes. You're in a hurry and it needs a nozzle cleaning...or more likely, one of the inks is out. It's always so frustrating.

I'm much happier using labs to print. I may sometimes use a 'consumer' lab when I'm more concerned about time than ultimate quality, but for most stuff, my local pro lab is very good.

I still have a decent photo printer at home...but I haven't used it in a while and I'm sure one of the tanks is low or just dry...which renders the whole thing useless until I spend $40 for a new ink cartridge. And if I'm buying that, I might as well buy a whole set of cartridges....so now I'm out $150. No thanks.

Well, we won't be printing continuously ... just for wall hanging images and smaller "photo album" images.
The personal control over the image and convenience would be the main factors.

That R3880 is not cheap, double the R2880 in price.

Hmm. Maybe get a smaller format and outsource the large stuff.

That R3880 is not cheap, double the R2880 in price.

Initial cost yes - but not when you factor in the extra ink that comes with the 3880. As I said, when I did the numbers it was worth about $700 of ink that I didn't need to buy.

Your plan however seems more than reasonable for your situation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back