Printers...oooooh!!!!!!!

Lisa B

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a new printer, its a HP printer scanner but i don't feel confident with the quality of my photographs on it.

I was wondering if any of you could recommend a make and model of printer that would be a good choice for printing photographs at home?

Cheers

Lisa xxxx

I settled on Epson printers about 6-7 years ago. Model numbers depend on the size of your output, I have used a couple of 2200 since early '03. They are real workhorses. That model has been replaced by the 2400, and the output from it is even more stunning. It is one of the few printers that really do B&W well.

I have a Canon Pixma iP4200, and I love it. It can't handle any paper bigger than 8 1/2x11 though..It might can do legal, but who cares. :)

How do you guys generally get your photos printed if not on home printers?

I too have a HP scanner/printer dealie, but I don't print from it. I prefer to send them out, witch can be done almost anywhere. Right now I am using my local Drug Store due to proximity.

I use an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 for quick printing at home. If I am going to print a large order, I send them to Mpix.

What is your budget? How seriously do you want to get into this? How important is B&W to you? Do you prefer glossy or matte paper? What size do you want to print?

I print with Epson 3800, R2400, 2200, 1400 and R800 printers at the moment, but I'm slimming down to just the 3800, R2400 and 1400. I used to have three 2200s, each with a different ink set. They are real workhorse printers. I used Epson ink in bulk - not as cheap as third-party ink, but much cheaper than using the small Epson cartridges.

I can recommend the R2400, particularly because you can use it with a bulk ink system with Epson ink.

If I want something larger than the 3800 can produce I get it printed at Laumont or Printspace in New York, or by ezprints.com online.

I prefer to print my own, particularly for B&W, for which I use a dedicated ink set I developed myself for use with glossy paper - quite a lot of effort - and IJC/OPM, which is a RIP. I also print for a few other photographers.

Best,
Helen

I've been getting pictures printed with the likes of Truprint but I would love to be able to do the whole deal at home. I do, however want to get larger pictures than most printers will allow.

I guess standard is like 8x10, but i also like to offer 10x12

I have a Canon i9950 printer, a3 bordless and its very very good.

The Epson R2400 could be a good choice for you if you are selling prints. How many prints would you expect to produce? It wouldn't be appropriate for high volume printing, or for low-cost printing. If you find that you are using a lot of ink, then you could switch to a bulk ink system and use the same Epson K3 inks. If you want more information on this just ask.

Good luck,
Helen

Most reactions

Back