Printing BW400CN negs

First thing to remember about T400CN, CN stands for color negative. Printing CN developed in C-41 onto standard BW paper is futile at best. In my BW lab I used to use Kodak Panalure designed to accept the orange based film. Today most of my customers at the lab just get it scanned. The Noritzu 1800 series has a specified setting just for that film for optimal scanning values.

I have ordered some Panulure paper off Ebay. My enlarger lamp specs at 2900K, will I get warmer tones on this paper? If so, would a different light source or maybe a filter help correct this? ,

good luck with the paper, i hope you didn't pay much as it doesn't hold up well over time and it has been off the market for years (just a heads up, don't mean to rain on your fun, but.......)

good luck with the paper, i hope you didn't pay much as it doesn't hold up well over time and it has been off the market for years (just a heads up, don't mean to rain on your fun, but.......)

Paid $8.00 + shipping for an unopened 25 pack. We'll see.

When I'm doing lumen prints I set up on a table in a sunny window and do long exposures, minutes to hours... if it's overcast I leave them overnight, til the next day, especially with really old paper. But with that process I don't get standard B&W I get bluish gray, purples, orange tones, etc. With the Panalure under fluorescent light I got a nice bluish gray with a few hours' exposure.

I know someone who's used expired paper to do more standard prints and couldn't remember her process - here's her blog and this is who I learned about lumen prints from. (Her picture of papers she uses looks about like what I have.)
Craft! Bang! Boom! » Vintage photo paper shootout ? contact paper edition
Some old papers seem to be usable under an enlarger or at least to do contact prints but you'd probably have to zap a good bit more light on it than with fresh paper. I've found as she did that pre- 'school bus yellow' Kodak is really fogged (what can you expect from paper that expired in the 1930's and '40's?)

With the Panalure for me it got freaky in the sun so I don't know what it would do under the glow of an enlarger (I don't have one and the university darkroom I'd been using is under reconstruction so I haven't been able to try it). From what I read it was meant to be used with tungsten/fluorescent light.

If it doesn't work out I'd buy the Panalure off ya. Since the next couple of days will once again consist of freezing stuff falling out of the sky I'm going to get out some of my Panalure and see what I get w/some color negatives. I like to experiment, especially if I'm only wasting some old paper that nobody much wants anyway - I got a bunch at a camera swap one time and they couldn't carry it to my car fast enough...

Just a follow-up on my attempt to print on Panalure paper. First 2 pics are neg scans, 2nd 2 are the prints scans. Paper was fogged with no highlights mostly grey, I bumped the contrast pp on the prints to get an image out but the prints are low contrast very dark.

Neg Scans

Searching by Nokinrocks, on Flickr

raised by Nokinrocks, on Flickr

Prints Scans

87110009 by Nokinrocks, on Flickr

87110008 by Nokinrocks, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back