Printing Question

sambrody44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lets say I want to get a bunch of my images printed. How do I know the dimensions of each different photo? Like, the ratios and such. I'm sorry I can't be more clear, I'm confusing myself.

I have only used "winkflash.com" and "costco.com" so do not know if my answer apply to the professional level print shops ...

All my photos straight from camera (RAW to JPEG) can be printed 4x6 or 5x7. I shoot in the best quality allowed by camera.

I always download the max size instead of the "fast download" offered by CostCo. This ensures all my shots will work with their largest print (20x30 I think). I use a Canon 30D (I think 8MP).

If you are cropping, Photoshop Elements allow me to crop based on dimensions (4x6, 5x7, 12x14 probably allow strange dimensions as well). When I want to print some "odd" dimensions (12x14, 20x24), I always crop before sending off to print.

Hope this answers your question.

Unless you are using different cameras, all of the images from your camera should be the same dimensions before any cropping.

Full-frame/uncropped images are generally in a 2x3/4x6/6x9/7x10.5/8x12/10x15/24x36 (and so on) dimension.

5x7, 8x10, 11x14, etc. are all different dimensions and you will have to crop in on your image to fit it into these sizes.

So do I print the full sized image and then crop after I print? Also do I crop to a specific frame size?

use the crop tool to crop to the desired size and resolution before sending /taking images to printers, if printing at home the same applies. H

1000 Posts, how sad

I believe photoshop has the ability to crop to certain dimension ratios.

Google? Sorry, its late.

Yeah but if I'm not using the crop to to crop but instead the rectangular selection tool and then croping with that, how do I get them printed?

If your pictures are cropped to something other than standard ratios (ie 2x3, 4x5) then most printing places will either crop it to fit the format that you want or they'll print it with white borders.

Here is the reason that it's always a good idea to only crop to standard dimensions.

Doesn't that put a damper on creativity?

In my experience enforcing ratios (usually 2x3 and 4x5,) not only makes life a lot easier in terms of printing, but it makes you think harder about the way you arrange your images and produce generally more creative work.

Also, those ratios are standard for a reason-- a 2x3 (or 4x6/8x12/etc) image is in keeping with the idea of the golden ratio-- humans have considered similar shapes to be the most pleasing to the eye for thousands of years. 4x5 is not quite as close to the g. mean, but that shape has a centuries old history in art.

So if I were to have an image printed outside of those ratios, it would need to matted to fit a frame without going into custom framing?

My local art supply stores, frame shops, and online suppliers such as dickblick.com offer a wide variety of pre-made frames that aren't standard camera format aspect ratios ( for instance I like 14"x18" frames, that's 7:9 ). It you want to insure that you don't have to order a custom frame you will have to look into what is available before you crop the photo.

Many art supply store also sell pre-cut frame pieces making DIY custom sized frames a bit more affordable.

Usually you can set crop tools/rectangular selection tools for free hand sizing or specific aspect ratios.

sambrody44,

In my day job at Printroom.com, our photographers' and their customers' who order prints run into this problem all the time. The issue has to do with aspect ratio. I'm including a link to a website that has a great description on the topic.

Printing Digital Photos, digital cameras, digital photography, photography, digital slr, camera recommendation, price comparison, photographic companies, camera companies, digital camera best prices,

A quick tip that will allow you to adjust your original image to any crop size: when composing (i.e. taking the shot) for the image make sure you have plenty of margin or space around the subject to crop later in your photo editing software.

Cheers,
JP

Most reactions

Back