Prints from Mpix

I'm confused. Millers and Mpix are the same lab. Exact same quality. Exact same techs. Exact same gear.

Nope, each subsidiary is in a different state, different employees, different equipment. Different machines for different purposes. As far as quality I would say each of their subsidiaries work hard to make sure they live up to Bill's very high standards.

we were Just talking about it :)....
a client of mine bought a disk of their session and called me last night. He went to Costco to print 4x6 and couldn't figure out y his look different then what he printed through me. THEN his wife went to walgreens and reprinted the whole set and Those Look different all together. NOW they are calling me to find out what the problem was.

I wasn't really implying that a client could take a CD anywhere and get the same prints. I was more referring to me getting prints, with the printer profiles set, and the proper sharpening for the output without any autocorrect settings applied. In those conditions, I think Costco actually outperforms Mpix. Just my .02
we were Just talking about it :)....
a client of mine bought a disk of their session and called me last night. He went to Costco to print 4x6 and couldn't figure out y his look different then what he printed through me. THEN his wife went to walgreens and reprinted the whole set and Those Look different all together. NOW they are calling me to find out what the problem was.

Well, decided to take a loss on my next order to figure it out. Ordered the same thing from Costco and Mpix. Mpix cost 5 times as much, so it wasn't that difficult to justify adding the Costco order for comparison.

For what it's worth, I ordered it on Monday, got the Costco order yesterday, and am still waiting on the MPIX order.

I hope it was worth the wait. Thanks for taking the time to do this, I appreciate it as it might move me to Costco. Anxious to hear how it all turns out.

For orders that range between the crop size 4x6 and 5x7 we actually use costco as these prints sizes come with our package where we have complete control of delivery. Even with the autocorrect on, I honestly didn't see a difference at the 4x6 or 5x7 size prints we order from them(Maybe because our calibrated monitor does it justice) so we figured there was no advantage to paying MPIX a multiplier expense for the proofs. However if the customer does order a large print, we choose MPIX as prints sometimes go directly to the customer. We prefer to portray and different brand given that situation. The profile that MPIX has from my experience with the auto correct vs no auto correct - even on the larger size prints, didn't really show the difference between tone, sharpness etc...I did see a slight difference on a brighter exposure during my test 4 years ago when auto correct was on...however negligble.

My recommendation is that if you go with Costco, the eye won't really portray any significant difference between a calibrated monitor and print between the two print houses MPIX and Costco...that's coming from someone who has 10/15 vision.

I did come across an article that may have more valuable up-to-date insight , very high level though so I don't know if there is bias:

snapfish versus shutterfly versus mpix versus costco - hollywood housewife

Last edited:
Btw...what was the results on your test?

Btw...what was the results on your test?

I'm going to have to do a round two.

For round one, Costco was superior, but I'll take the responsibility for that since I decided to let both 'correct' the image. Figured I would see what the lab guys at Mpix would come up with...turns out, they made it too dark and bumped up the Saturation to garish proportions. I'm wondering if Ken Rockwell got a second job. The Costco prints were perfect.

For round two, I will ensure Ken Rockwell over at Mpix doesn't get to play with the saturation sliders, and will turn the correction 'feature' off.

So, for round 1, the client got the prints from Costco, and the shots from Mpix went in the trash.

That's some good inputs Kerb. When you get the chance to post round two I'd be interested to find out results.

I don't have a CostCo around here, so I can't comment on their print quality, but I've tried a wide range of labs and so far no one has impressed me as much as WHCC. FWIW, I don't let any photo lab color correct my images, but I'm a control freak and I'd rather be the one who determines what looks best. WHCC does free paper samples and test prints when you first sign up so you can check your calibration against their prints (again, assuming you control the color correction). Free UPS shipping. You even get a Tootsie Pop with your order (though you can't pick the flavor, I got green apple yesterday. Blech.) or a Blow Pop on occasion. I know, I sound like a paid advertiser, but I've strayed from WHCC when I had to have same day printing, and I regretted it. They use Kodak paper though, so if it's an issue of the paper, that may not persuade you. I prefer the Kodak over the Fuji myself, but I also prefer metallic over lustre, so my opinion can't be trusted lol. Honestly, my issue with big box store printers is that while you may get a few good batches, you're always running the risk that you're going to get a batch done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing or that they won't stay up on their machine maintenance, etc.

Personally, I don't think the pricing difference between a big box printer like Costco (15c 4x6?) and WHCC (.60-70c 4x6) is enough to really be an issue, but WHCC does do proofing runs for 25c 4x6. I can't comment on the exact comparison between Mpix and others because I don't use Mpix anymore, but overall I would just rather not gamble with my customers prints and big box store printing. Maybe I'm a schmuck for buying into it, but I just feel like WHCC cares more about the quality of my prints overall. *shrug*

This entire thread has been very informative.

I'm confused. Millers and Mpix are the same lab. Exact same quality. Exact same techs. Exact same gear.

Nope, each subsidiary is in a different state, different employees, different equipment. Different machines for different purposes. As far as quality I would say each of their subsidiaries work hard to make sure they live up to Bill's very high standards.

Christina, could you tell me what the difference is between mpix and Miller's? I've used mpix for a long time, and would like to try Miller's (which I have used for albums) for prints as well. I even downloaded the ordering system and went to upload an order. But when I saw the price difference...it made me question my decision! Is Miller's quality that much better than Mpix to justify the price difference - which was roughly double? I am asking you specifically, since you seem to have used both labs.

And Kerbouchard...I don't have a Costco, so it isn't even an option for me! ;-)

I priced it out once. It comes out to be about the same price. Even though Millers is 2x the cost, you get color correction and free overnight shipping. With Mpix you are paying about the same when you calculate in overnight shipping.

Color correction is my concern. Even though I calibrate my screen I'm not at the lab to check their machine when new paper is loaded, new chemicals, etc. Anything that can changed the color just a bit. So I let them do it. They know their machines and have much more experience with color correction then I do.

Also, if the color is off they reprint for free so I'm covered if the client decides they don't like the shade of red in their dress (happens all the time with Indian weddings. the shade of red in the bride's clothes is very important) With Millers I can specify that they adjust the color to match a piece of clothing to a PMS color.

I agree that the paper quality is just half the battle. I use Nations Photo Lab. They are cheaper than MPIX and many others but have great quality and consistency. I have been very happy with them and they have pretty good specials too.

I think you will find that Endura paper will last longer. Also, I would not trust Costco to color balance my prints.

In the US, Shipping from Mpix Pro is only $4.00 per order regardless of order size.. Yes, it's $30.00 in Canada

Most reactions

New Topics

Back