Private Island, Featuring Eagles & Nest

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is this how it is done?
Those newbie photographers that just bought their first huge lens and have no idea how to use it.
me.png

But seriously that was just a small joke to break the ice. A friend and fellow photographer offered me a great opportunity to explorer a private island off the coast of South Carolina. Dewees Island is private to land owners and you must take a ferry to access the island. At the moment the 2.5 mile island is home to about 30 residents. The island has policies on building and transportation to try to keep the island a very natural habitat to wildlife. Houses must be set back in the tree line as well as transportation is by electric golf carts, bikes and by foot.

Our guide on the island was Judy, she was great and showed us the whole island and let us roam free with use of a golf cart. I would have to say the highlight of the trip was the Eagle Nest. This was a Man made platform first built for Osprey, but a few years back an eagle couple decided to occupy and use the nest. The first platform was fit more for the osprey, so in the off season they reconstructed the platform to make it stronger and larger.

We also had the great opportunity to photograph this nest from eye level on the roof of a house. This house is for sale, so if you are interested in your own piece of paradise with amazing views including an eagle’s nest, check out Dewees Island Real Estate: Buy, Sell or Rent | Charleston, SC

I want to show my thanks for this opportunity to have had access to this island by getting the word out by posting photos and sharing with people more information about the island. I was once a resident of Charleston and never knew about Dewees Island, It is somewhat an unknown place, but I am so glad I found it and learned about their goal to maintain a natural wildlife habitat with little human habitat effects.

1) Parent & Eaglet
dewees_1.jpg

2) Parent & Eaglet
dewees_2.jpg

3) Parent & Eaglet
dewees_3.jpg

4) The Approach
dewees_5.jpg

5) The Landing
dewees_4.jpg

6)
dewees_12.jpg

The View:

7)
dewees_8.jpg

8) Over my shoulder
mee2.png

9) The View
dewees_9.jpg

Last edited:
Way to take advantage of an unique opportunity. Great shots.

Fantastic shots. (As always)

In #1 I think he's checking his sensor for dust :mrgreen:

This set is absolutely stunning !!!!!

Great pics! That was a wonderful opportunity you had. Sounds like they are doing a job of keeping the island "natural". I hope they keep it that way so it doesn;t get overrun with people.

Great location and great shots too.

Had to add a little comedy to the post. That was just me messing around. I noticed my friend taking a photo of me, and i said hey take a photo of me doing this...

That's all for your comments, i wish i could have waiting longer for a parent to return with a fish, but i didnt want to overstay the welcome. I could have sat up there all day, it was just so peaceful.

^That's what happens when I'm just stunned speechless. :D
Gorgeous. Stunning. Jaw-dropping.

Next time you get invited to that island, let me know…I should be able to get there in about 7.5 hours, including time to load up the car and tell the boss I'm taking a couple of days off… :lol:

Most reactions

Back