Pro Bono Shoot turned legal

Tell her the files have been deleted (regardless of whether or not they have been) and see what her reaction is. That'd be funny.
That would be funny and fraudulent (since the lie would potentially have financial benefits at the expense of another)

I think eventually selling copies to her for your price plus lawyer fees would be the ultimate good-guy-triumphs-over-bad-guy experience.

Also perhaps she could figure out someway to provide them on a 5.25" or 3.5" floppy.

Now that would be funny. Show up with a big a$$ floppy disk that really is floppy. Better yet, make sure it is formatted for a Commodore.

Thanks for the laugh.

If you can sample your photos down to a few kilobytes, you could send them on magnet core memory modules, circa cold war era technology:
Magnetic-core memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or if using a floppy, be sure to choose an 8" floppy.

Encoding the image as bursts of digital binary static on a vinyl record would also be an acceptable and realistically achievable choice =D You could easily fit a whole portfolio on one vinyl.

Sending the photos on RAW format would be hilarious, in my own opinion XD

Sending the photos on RAW format would be hilarious, in my own opinion XD

With due respect to the humor involved, if the woman eventually pays, imo, she should get finished products with embedded copyright data, exactly what she pays for, so she has no comeback against the shooter professionally.
Lowering oneself to her level wouldn't be a good career move.

Obviously the woman can demand whatever she wants and since the property belongs to you I would heed the advice of this group. Send her a detailed invoice for all photographs and let her make the next move. I might add a footnote to the bottom of the invoice that reads .... If the terms of this sale isn't satisfactory to you then please contact my attorney Siben & Siben @ 516-666-6666 for further discussion. Thanks

Is there any legal grounds for this? Obviously an attorney thinks so...

Attorneys don't think. They just smell money. The number of stupid legal letters and demands I've seen in my time are incredible. Hell some attorneys even manage to get themselves disbarred. Thinking is a dangerous thing.

Now if he read rather than just thought he would know that baring any contract that states otherwise a photographer automatically holds the copyright for any photo they take. What I'm less sure about is who has to pay the bill when you win this frivolous case.

It takes very litttle effort to make a threat. It takes considerably more to actually follow through. Most people are not willing to put forth the time and money to pursue it, especially if you complied with the demand to remove from any portfolio.

Most reactions

Back