Pro & Cons for step-up rings

RichardsTPF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 50mm and a 18-200mm glasses. Since I will own a 24-70mm or 70-200mm in the future, I am going to buy a B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer MRC Filter. So I will also buy step-up rings 58-77 & 72-77mm.
Besides the benefit of saving money, Is there any other pro & Cons that I don't think of?

What do you think about this filter? Is it worth the extra $30 to the non-kasemann filter?

You may have issue with using a lens hood with the step up ring.

As long as you step UP you should not have any problems with vignetting. Keep n mind that with any filter you are adding another piece of glass in front of your lens. If it is high quality glass you should be okay.

I do the same thing to accomodate a 58mm filter size on my 85 f1.8 to the 82mm on the 16-35 f2.8L, with a couple of 72mm and 77mm sizes in between. As mentioned above, the lens hoods can't be used. So, if possible, I use a piece of cardboard as a 'stand in' for a hood. I then fix whatever vignetting it causes in post.

It sure beats having the same filter in multiple sizes, depending on what lens is on the camera. Back in the 35mm days, I did just that. It got expensive having to have color correcting filters in 3-4 sizes!

Most reactions

Back