Probably a really dumb question but can someone

railman44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
explain what "rubbing" means on a lens? I'm assuming it refers to a slight scratch on the barrel and someone "rubbed" or buffed it out? If I'm correct in this assumption it's fairly easy to spot...

railman44 said:
explain what "rubbing" means on a lens? I'm assuming it refers to a slight scratch on the barrel and someone "rubbed" or buffed it out? If I'm correct in this assumption it's fairly easy to spot...

Hmm... could you give us the context?

Check out eBay. Quotes like "some light rubbing". This can refer to camera or lens. Heck, I thought I was the only one who didn't know what it meant...

I would hope it would stipulate whether it refers to the body or to the lens! I wouldn't trust an item that had "light rubbing" on the lens. I'm sure it only means that there is some wear on the lens barrel, though. Make sure to email them if you aren't sure.

Yeah, from what I've seen, "rubbing" refers to the wearing out of the lens barrel resulting in loss of the black layer... etc...

I was under the impression it was the same as brassing - so yeah, something which cosmetically affects the hardware and subsequently the value, but not the picture-taking.

It's the kind of subjective term I don't like - my mind says to me: rubbing = battered

Rob

Battered means it has dents - usually through being dropped.
Rubbing refers to patches of the body finish that have been rubbed away or abraded. You get it a lot around the neck strap mounts, for example, where carrying the camera around has caused the strap and/or mounting ring to rub against the body affecting the finish.
It doesn't necessarily mean the camera has been abused or heavily used - just carried around a lot.
It's a bit like first editions of books. 'Foxing' means that the pages have little brown spots on them - usually from iron salts. The book is fine and perfectly readable but because it is cosmetic it reduces the price considerably. Means you can often pick up a bargain.

Most reactions

Back