Probably a scam....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got an inquiry this afternoon from "Kelly Brown". Because I tend to get a lot of scam inquiries (not sure why), I'm in the habit of looking them all up before I respond.

Hi! I'm Kelly Brown. We will be needing some one ASAP to take up the photography aspect of our wedding occasion scheduled for next month , 03.10.2012 starting from 10;00 AM - 04;00 PM . So what I am asking is -;

A package which includes six hours of shooting time plus a 20 page custom designed album .

THIS PACKAGE INCLUDES:

* 6 hours of photography; Mix of color and black and white, creative effects.

* 250+ professionally processed wedding photos, in print and on copyright-free CD OR USB.

* 20 page custom wedding album - all prints on archival quality .

Album in top quality, elegant and built to last a lifetime for the memory of our kids and families.

* 11x14 Portrait Print - We'll choose any image from the wedding photos .

So some questions I have are ;-

- What is your base price fee for what I am asking? Is that negotiable?

- Your availability/ schedule for the coming month? You available?

- Are you willing to travel ? considering both the lodging and the travels will be taken care of. Please email back confirming your availability. Thank you

Kelly.
[email protected]

...This doesn't look like a scam, but the address listed at the bottom ([email protected]) is not the address it came from. That is: [email protected] and leads to "personal assistant" fraud listings on Craigslist. These things bum me out :grumpy:. I also can't figure out what the angle is. Any one have any thoughts?

I went ahead and responded very briefly on the chance its legit, but I'm afraid I've had more scammers emailing me lately than legit brides.

could be a newbie trying to get an idea of what to charge. Going this route gets them their answer verses them just cold calling and saying "hey, I am in the same business as you, what do you charge so I can figure out my prices?"

"to take up the photography aspect of our wedding "

Who the F talks like that?

Here is how the scams work, You say it's $2000. They mail you a check for $3,000...Ooops we made a mistake, send me a check for $1,000 back or bank wire or paypal or whatever. You in good faith do. a week later. Bank calls says Check is no good you got. You loose

Scam
seen this exact thing in another place.
why not play it out and find out the address they want the check sent to?

Hi Cinka,

I got the same thing and I'm in Guelph, Ontario. I also got another with the exact same heading but a different wedding date and name. Totally a scam!

I got "hired" for Kelly Brown's wedding too, but something didn't sound right from the very beginning. Thank you for posting this. I wonder how many photographers "Kelly" is hiring.

could be a newbie trying to get an idea of what to charge. Going this route gets them their answer verses them just cold calling and saying "hey, I am in the same business as you, what do you charge so I can figure out my prices?"

Agreed, I will bet this is a local photographer doing some "market research" . Way too specific to be a client. The reason I am thinking this is because they are asking for digital copies but still want to order a book, that does not make sense.

These kind of scams are too old on the book and yet they still pursue just to fool anybody.

I received this same email but a different date and have been corresponding with her for a couple of days now. Don't want to sound dumb but it never crossed my mine that it was a scam until today and did some digging. So did anyone ever find out if this is really a scam? I was excited about the job and I do get emails wanting quotes for weddings all the time and have landed the jobs. Feeling at little pi**ed off now! Any info would be appreciated!!!

Send money in advance and they'll throw in a free Nigerian parrot.

Tell dear miss Kelly that you need a non-refundable (unusually large) deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back