Probably stupid, Can you do this?

Sirashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, Just got into HDR. Here is my question. Can you make an HDR photo from a single exposure, then take that single RAW photo and save it three different times with different Ev (-2, 0, +2) settings? I did this and heres what I got. It seems to work, but my question is also, is there any reason not to do this? Quite honestly, it makes life really simple as I didn't have a tripod on this trip... Thanks in Advance...

Original photo

try-0.jpg

HDR Version

PrintMe1-1.jpg

That's exactly how I do all my HDRs and as you've just showed, it works quite well. I take all my pics in raw so that I can pick and choose which I want to create HDRs with. It also allows you to do HDRs of motion. Three seperate pictures wouldn't have worked in your example because of the movement from the cars and boats.

Great job man. I actually never thought of this! SO simple this is how i shall be doing my HDRs from here on in.

Well you will probably get better IQ images if you actually take the correct exposed instead of doing it in photoshop making them brighter or darker...

what does hdr stand for?

i cannot see an hdr image here.

i only see a tonemapped image. the dynamic range is not increased though.

what you did is, you used more of your sensors sensitivity latitude that way, since there is more in your RAW data than in a single jpg. but still that latitude is very narrow.

this is not a scene made for HDR anyway, since the difference between bright and dark is small enough to be captured in one normal image.

Well you will probably get better IQ images if you actually take the correct exposed instead of doing it in photoshop making them brighter or darker...

Creating 3 exposures from a raw file isn't the same as using photoshop to brighten or darken an image. Pretty much all of my best HDR images came from 1 raw file.

Yup i've got to agree. I've got the "detail" out of that one image with simple levels/curves/shadow&highlight (2 mins) - just except from the unnatural/oversaturated colours

I dare say using the method of creating 3 from 1 RAW may get you better overall quality (less noise) etc but i wouldn't call it a true HDR.

Sirashley, i hope you don't mind, it says your photos are ok to edit.. i just wanted to post this to demonstrate my point a little (i can take it down if you want, just say the word)

try-2.jpg

I can see the point of doing it though if you need to get the shadow detail up without bringing up too much noise - i'm sure bringing the exposure up in RAW adjustments is better than bringing the shadows up in photoshop.

then take that single RAW photo and save it three different times with different Ev (-2, 0, +2) settings? I did this and heres what I got.
I was rather curious as to how HDR was done and since a few people have done it this way, can I ask then...

How do you combine the 3 separate images to one? How do you overlay them? Are you using Aperture or Photoshop? (I have both).

I was rather curious as to how HDR was done and since a few people have done it this way, can I ask then...

How do you combine the 3 separate images to one? How do you overlay them? Are you using Aperture or Photoshop? (I have both).

I use Lightroom to create the 3 exposures from the RAW file, then Photomatix Pro to create the HDR from the 3 images.

Are those programs, by chance, for Macs too? Or just for Windows?

...using the method of creating 3 from 1 RAW may get you better overall quality (less noise) etc...

I'm not sure you would get a significant noise reduction. As I understand it the reason noise is reduced when combining multiple exposures (made in-camera) is because the noise pattern is different in each exposure. Three exposures made from the same raw file would all have the same noise pattern. ?

Most reactions

Back