Problem children

Warfarin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to Pentax so don’t know what is happening. I have a MZ-50 that I think has something wrong with the mirror gears. It was working perfectly until my son dropped it and now the mirror only goes back down half way. Not sure if this is worth fixing. Next up is a MZ-60. I just received it and it was working great. I fired the shutter about 4-5 times and all worked well. I removed the lens to check the contacts and see if the inside was clean. It was. I replaced the lens and fired the shutter. Now my mirror is in the up position and the shutter won’t function. I am guessing that a camera this low on the pole doesn’t have a shutter lock up feature that I accidentally turned on because if it did the shutter should function. Any advice?

One of the primary reasons i switched to Pentax in the late 60s was they were built like a tank, able to withstand abuse.I have a ZX-M that just keeps chugging along, but it's a use and throw it away camera, no where near its predecessor the K1000. You can pick up a MZ body for less than $50 dollars.

Two things you might try. Are you sure you have a fresh batterry? Second, apparently this series was plagued by a slipping cog. Here's a link to a DIY fix you might try. Strange MZ-50 mirror problem... cheaper to repair or buy a new body? - PentaxForums.com scroll down about middle ways.

One of the primary reasons i switched to Pentax in the late 60s was they were built like a tank, able to withstand abuse.I have a ZX-M that just keeps chugging along, but it's a use and throw it away camera, no where near its predecessor the K1000. You can pick up a MZ body for less than $50 dollars.

Two things you might try. Are you sure you have a fresh batterry? Second, apparently this series was plagued by a slipping cog. Here's a link to a DIY fix you might try. Strange MZ-50 mirror problem... cheaper to repair or buy a new body? - PentaxForums.com scroll down about middle ways.
By all means try smoke665's link. Sometimes amateur surgery works and the patient recovers(fingers crossed). With repair resources dwindling, sturdier, less break-prone bodies might be the ticket.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Homer Simpson moment on the MZ-50. DOH!! It was working great and my son dropped it and then it wasn’t. I figured the drop broke it. Nope it was just coincidence that the batteries went low at the same time. Put new batteries in and all is well. Still can’t get the mirror to come down on the 60. And don’t have a screwdriver that fits so can’t take it apart yet.

Homer Simpson moment on the MZ-50. DOH!! It was working great and my son dropped it and then it wasn’t. I figured the drop broke it. Nope it was just coincidence that the batteries went low at the same time. Put new batteries in and all is well. Still can’t get the mirror to come down on the 60. And don’t have a screwdriver that fits so can’t take it apart yet.
Actually it's probably not coincidence. The battery contacts tend to get corrosion over time. If the batteries were undisturbed, then they likely were low but still had enough good contact to work. When it was dropped you likely lost that contact. It takes more juice to pass through a bad connection than a good one. I'd take a little WD40 on a pencil eraser and clean the contacts good.

I will check that out. Thanks.

Well not sure what the parts are called but on the MZ-50 it works great with no film. As soon as I put a (old exposed) roll of film in the gears aren’t strong enough to pull the film.

@Warfarin I've been a diehard Pentaxian since the 60's, unfortunately the MZ/ZX series was not some of their finest years. Cleaning contacts and replacing batteries is about the extent of economical feasibility of repairs. You could buy another, but would probably run into issues eventually.

If you want to stay with the 35mm format a ZX-M came out about the same time, but it's a much simpler model with manual focus, auto film advance. Even better is the all manual K1000, it was built like a tank. If you've thought about medium format the Yaskica Mat 124, can be found relatively inexpensive, and is also well built. The Pentax 645n was inexpensive on the used market, till the film resurgence drove up the price.

I have a Yasihca 124G and love it. I will get a 645 here soon. Not really impressed with the MZ series of cameras. What is your opinion of the z series? I have a Z-1p and it seems like a good camera. I have taken one roll with it so far but haven’t had it developed yet. Was thinking a Z-20 might make a good companion for it. I’m not against the K-1000 and will eventually get one. I just want AF.

Last edited:
What is your opinion of the z series? I have a Z-1p and it seems like a good camera. I have taken one roll with it so far but haven’t had it developed yet. Was thinking a Z-20 might make a good companion for it. I’m not against the K-1000 and will eventually get one. I just want AF.
I understand the reluctance of the manual focus, but with the split prism I could grab focus really quick. Course my eyes were much better then. LOL Not much experience with the Z series. That was during a time when I was neck deep in my businesses and photography wasn't a part of it. From the Pentax Forums there doesn't seem to be much negative to say.

I use a lot of Canon MF cameras and have a hard time resolving the split prism no that my eyes are older. I had to move to a Canon AL-1 with focus assist. When my eyes were good no problem. Thanks for your responses.

Most reactions

Back