Problem transferring pics to computer?? (D40)

wmflyfisher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I'm a bit confused. I just received a Nikon D40 this afternoon and snapped a few shots. Once I connect it via USB cable to my computer I can't find the images. I've even downloaded Nikon PictureProject but am still having trouble. What am I doing wrong??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, I go to computer to look for drive F but their is no file there??

can you just use a card reader?
ive never hooked my D40 up to my computer, so im really not sure...typically when a new USB device is plugged in it is assigned a drive letter, some drivers are installed and you should be good.

sorry i am not more help.

Look for other drive letters. If you plug something into one of your USB ports it might call it drive F this time but the next time that same port might not be F if you have other stuff plugged into that machine, it could be G or H or something else. I have a cheap card reader I bought and just use that.

Thanks guys. Yeah thats the weird thing. It recognizes that something is hooked up via the USB port but when I pull up my computer there is no other drive (letter) there. I could get a card reader but it would be nice to see the pics I took now!! There has to be some way to access them!

Check the camera's menus for a USB connection option that allows you to select between "Mass Storage" and "PTP". To use your camera as a card reader (e.g. to mount has a drive) it must be set to "Mass Storage".

The "PTP" option is to allow special software to connect to the camera and possibly control it (e.g. Nikon's Camera Control v2 software).

Thanks Dwig. Just looked and it's already set to "mass storage". Still nothing! Vista is my OS if it matters.

I'm guessing that the camera is turned on when you are plugging it it?

That happened on my old P&S.

Nope it's off. I plug everything up and then turn it on. The comp recognizes it but I can't find the file. Any other ideas???

I worded that wrong.

Try unplugging it, turning it on, THEN plugging it in.

If you are using a laptop: is there a little slot somewhere along the front, back, or sides for a card?

If you are using a desktop: is there a slot for a card on your tower? many newer ones do.

Also, very simple thing here, but make sure the card is IN the camera! :lmao::lol:

YES!! There is an SD card slot on the side of my Dell! Thanks Seward!! I have one more problem. My battery is now dead! DOH! Thanks for the help guys.

Not a problem! Glad it was an easy fix.

I thought I would get a thank-you on my thank-you count though! Haha, just kidding.

Don't be hesitant to post up any more questions :)

Most reactions

Back