Problem with color loss

eclipse13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been editing alot of photos lately. In PS they look fine. But then when I go back and look at them in windows picture viewer, they all seem desaturated and lifeless. My monitor is calibrated with a Huey calibrater.

Anyone have a problem like this before?

What's your color space?

When I open the RAW files in PS it says Adobe RGB (1998), I'm assuming that means the .NEF file is in adobe RGB. I can't figure out how to find out or change what my computer is displaying the Jpegs in.

Let me also clarify that when opening the RAW files in a RAW file viewer or in PS they look like they should. It is after I save them as Jpegs and open them in Windows viewer that they are losing the color.

Try converting them to sRGB in PS before saving them as JPEGs. Don't just assign sRGB, convert to sRGB. That sounds like it is the problem.

Good luck,
Helen

Helen B wins. Thanks alot. This problem has been bothering me for a long time and no one could figure it out. I hardly ever print photos, so it hasn't been a big deal but the ones I am editing now are from my 1st wedding, and I don't want to send the bride lifeless photos.

I have been editing alot of photos lately. In PS they look fine. But then when I go back and look at them in windows picture viewer, they all seem desaturated and lifeless. My monitor is calibrated with a Huey calibrater.

Anyone have a problem like this before?

Hmm - your problem is more than the colour space in PS...
First - you should choose a colourspace for your workflow and STICK TO THE SAME ONE as much as you can... sRGB is the chosen beast - because 90% of the world's population use sRGB...
Second - aRGB is a larger colourspace than sRGB - so if you have your camera set to aRGB and then convert to sRGB in PS - then you will LOSE some colour information...
Third - and the answer to your question...
When you open PS there is a default colourspace (should be sRGB per my advice above). This is because PS is using a "colour profile" which is standardised (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)... any images you save in PS will be tagged with this profile...
HOWEVER - Windows does NOT display it's pictures in image viewer with any profile at all - it just uses windows colour palettes... Which is why your pics look different in PS / Windows / and your browser...
Jedo

Close Jedo, except since he is calibrating his monitor photoshop will be displaying the monitor profile that the calibrator should automatically set for him within windows. Also any images you save in photoshop are tagged with the working profile.

Most reactions

Back