Problem with lens

jterry85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally got my Canon Digital Rebel XT in the mail today (my wife had to mail it to me here in Afghanistan, I've had it awhile now.) and when I took a trial picture using my Tamron 28-80mm lens the picture looked like it had a bright light flare in it. When I put another lens on it worked fine. Does anyone know what kind of problem this could be with the lens?

Did you try looking through the lens? Are all the elements intact? Dust?

Were you shooting towards trhe Sun. Does the lens have a filter screwed onto the front of it? Are the front and rear lens elements clean?

I looked through the lens and everything looked intact. I was not shooting outdoors I was shooting inside my tent which isn't very well lit but isn't completely dark either. When I looked through the lens I did see some dust but not a whole lot. I have a cpl and uv filter on the lens.

I looked through the lens and everything looked intact. I was not shooting outdoors I was shooting inside my tent which isn't very well lit but isn't completely dark either. When I looked through the lens I did see some dust but not a whole lot. I have a cpl and uv filter on the lens.

never stack filters
use one or the other, not both.

I think you do not need the CPL as well as the UV filter while you are inside the tent. And Try to avoid bright object(s) within the frame. i.e. A bright light bulb or lamp.

Most of the lenses have lens flares when shooting against a bright object, the one that has a better coating usually has better light flares control.

Filters add air gaps which make more surfaces that allow reflections within the air gap. Lens flare is just that, the reflection of a light source in the lens.

By having both a CPL and a UV on the lens you added 3 extra surfaces that could cause lens flare.

Try it again without any filters on the lens.

I don't know if this is a general rule or not, but I've found that the smaller the aperture the more I get the sun star phenomenon. Certainly the better glass tends to minimize that issue. Also, multicoated filters are designed specifically to minimize things like flare.

The "sun star phenomenon" is also known as diffraction spikes, and is caused by a small aperture and the lens aperture blades.

Most reactions

Back