Problem with Nikon Photomic FTn finder

Amit Ghosh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all, new member here and first post. I noticed that this is an old thread but am hoping that someone is still paying attention....

I just acquired a Nikon F Photomic FTn on eBay. As in most cases with these cameras, the light meter on my camera didn't seem to work. I was able able to get inside the meter, do the necessary mod so the meter would accept 1.5v batteries, cleaned the prism, etc. etc. After installing new batteries, I was quite excited to see the meter respond as it should to the "battery check" button. However, when turned on, the needle goes all the way to the left (indicating over-exposure) and does not budge from there irrespective of what the ISO, aperture, or shutter speed settings are. I have triple checked to make sure that I'm mounting the lens correctly, doing the necessary Nikon "shuffle" and all. Any ideas or suggestions where things might be going wrong? It might just be that the meter is dead, which is what I'm expecting. But thought maybe someone else has experienced the same problem and has a solution.

Thanks!

Is the button on top in the up position with the red band showing?

My FTN meter still works, even though the last year I used it regularly was 1985. I feel pretty fortunate...one of my newer F2a's has a dead meter...reliability was never the strong suit of the photomic metering prisms.

Thanks for the quick responses compur and Derrel!

compur - I did check the button on top and I can see the red band when the meter is turned on. Both the ON & OFF buttons are operating very crisply - nothing seem to be catching to keep the top button from popping up when I turn the meter ON.

Derrel - that's what I've heard about these meters too - not very reliable and temperamental. I do plan to use an external meter, but was just hoping to get it working again!

I assume you added a diode to convert the meter to modern cells.

I suggest double checking your connections. The right wires going to the right terminals. Also be sure the polarity of the diode is correct and it is not backwards.

compur - That's exactly what I did (added a diode). I'm pretty sure about the polarity, but I'll double check. I'm assuming that if the polarity is reversed, there would be no current flowing and the meter would be completely unresponsive - right? In any case, I'll double check. Thanks!

Hello all, new member here and first post. I noticed that this is an old thread but am hoping that someone is still paying attention....

I just acquired a Nikon F Photomic FTn on eBay. As in most cases with these cameras, the light meter on my camera didn't seem to work. I was able able to get inside the meter, do the necessary mod so the meter would accept 1.5v batteries, cleaned the prism, etc. etc. After installing new batteries, I was quite excited to see the meter respond as it should to the "battery check" button. However, when turned on, the needle goes all the way to the left (indicating over-exposure) and does not budge from there irrespective of what the ISO, aperture, or shutter speed settings are. I have triple checked to make sure that I'm mounting the lens correctly, doing the necessary Nikon "shuffle" and all. Any ideas or suggestions where things might be going wrong? It might just be that the meter is dead, which is what I'm expecting. But thought maybe someone else has experienced the same problem and has a solution.

Thanks!
Hi Amit, I have just joined the forum. I have exactly the same problem that you outlined. Exactly the same responses when the meter is switched on. Did you ever resolve it ? Or are you living with a dead meter ?

Hi Amit, I have just joined the forum. I have exactly the same problem that you outlined. Exactly the same responses when the meter is switched on. Did you ever resolve it? Or are you living with a dead meter ?
Amit hasn't been on since 13 May, 2020.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back