Problem with polarizer

Canon88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I seemed to have tightened my circular polarizer a little too tight on my canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens and now cant seem to loosen it. Any suggestions??

try to loosen it without applying too much pressure ... if you have to increase the pressure onthe filter ring, try to do it not in 2 places, but more, and evenly distributed. that way the ring will deform less and will be easier to unscrew.

Some shops also have devices to remove filters more easily. So you could ask in a shop.

Oddly enough they tighten up on their own some times, Mine did that the other day. I don't overtorque it when I put it on but I had to put some effort into removing it. As lame as it sounds, take the lens off the body and just turn it a little harder. Like alex_b said try to keep the pressure even.

From my "another life" days as a camera repair student, they make wrenches specifically designed for removing stuck filters. Hopefully yours isn't stuck that badly.

From my "other life" as Angus MacGyver if you put one of those thicker rubber bands on the ring of the filter you can apply much more torque without compression force on the filter ring which is probably what's preventing you getting it off at the moment.

The harder you twist the more pressure you apply to the sides the more torque you need the harder you twist the more...

Those plastic/rubber 'grabber' discs for opening jars are useful. Use with lens off the camera, lens face down on a flat surface with the disc between it and the lens/filter face. Surprised me.

From my "another life" days as a camera repair student, they make wrenches specifically designed for removing stuck filters. Hopefully yours isn't stuck that badly.
Those wrenches suck. I have a set. I thought they would help with the exact problem the OP is asking about, but in the end all that would work was brute force. The problem is that the filter turns...very frustrating.

To help prevent this in the future, you can use a pencil to draw some graphite onto the threads, which will act as lubrication and hopefully keep the filter from getting stuck.

To help prevent this in the future, you can use a pencil to draw some graphite onto the threads, which will act as lubrication and hopefully keep the filter from getting stuck.

Oops. Guess loctite red wasn't the right stuff...
:er:

Place the palm of your hand over the polariser.
Close your hand slightly.
Twist. That's what I do, works a charm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back