Problem with sb-800 on bracket using new flash cord (Vello ittl cord for nikon)

I have a flip bracket...I used it for wedding photography for a couple seasons.

I found that it wasn't worth the benefits. They are really great when you are shooting a subject who is standing close to a wall (behind them) because it causes the shadow to fall behind them, and avoid the dreaded 'side shadow'.

But other than that, it really doesn't offer much of a benefit. Having the flash a few inches higher, really doesn't make a difference unless the subject is really close to you. I found that, most of the time, I was tilting the flash for bounce anyway...and I can do that without the bracket.

Plus, when shooting a wedding, I don't have time to disconnect the bracket/flash all the time, so I basically had a dedicated camera bag that would hold one camera/lens/bracket/flash all assembled. This meant that I still needed one or even two other gear bags...it was just too much.

I have a flip bracket...I used it for wedding photography for a couple seasons.

I found that it wasn't worth the benefits. They are really great when you are shooting a subject who is standing close to a wall (behind them) because it causes the shadow to fall behind them, and avoid the dreaded 'side shadow'.

But other than that, it really doesn't offer much of a benefit. Having the flash a few inches higher, really doesn't make a difference unless the subject is really close to you. I found that, most of the time, I was tilting the flash for bounce anyway...and I can do that without the bracket.

Plus, when shooting a wedding, I don't have time to disconnect the bracket/flash all the time, so I basically had a dedicated camera bag that would hold one camera/lens/bracket/flash all assembled. This meant that I still needed one or even two other gear bags...it was just too much.
Yep, tried it yesterday. I still get red eye if the subject is more than 10ft. away. That's why I went cheap - to see what the benefit might be, if any. Now I know, but will still experiment a bit with different settings, lenses, etc. Thanks again for your helpful comments.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
just to throw something else out there
Rather than directly pointing the flash at the subject
my setup uses a reflector like this ==> Flash Pocket Bouncer for Nikon SB910 SB900 SB700 SB400 SB300 SB600 SB28 SB24 ++

to diffuse in-Direct flash rather than direct flash
with the flash on the bracket or on the camera.
Thanks for the suggestion. If I was shooting within 10 - 12 ft. I think This could work, but my subjects are 15 to 30 or more feet away (backyard song birds) and I don't think the flash would be near powerful enough.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
SB-800, GN 125, at 30' - ISO 400, f5.6, 1/2 power. Assuming a 1 stop loss for the reflector, that still gives you f4...

John, The lens is a Sigma 150 -500. Largest aperture at 400-500 is f 6.3. but if you were to expand a bit I might be able to do the math myself. f8, 400ISO = full power?

John, The lens is a Sigma 150 -500. Largest aperture at 400-500 is f 6.3. but if you were to expand a bit I might be able to do the math myself. f8, 400ISO = full power?
Yep, somewhere in between full power and 1/2 + 2/3, or bump up to ISO 800.

Yep, somewhere in between full power and 1/2 + 2/3, or bump up to ISO 800.
Thanks. If it's not pouring rain ,'Il try some of this today.

Is this just for a bird feeder ?
You could set the flash up on a tripod and a remote trigger
and you can shoot from further away.

Most reactions

Back