Product photography help with edit?

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
_MG_5782.jpg

I took this in our school's mini studio. It has to be in black and white. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some edits in photoshop ... perhaps to reduce the glare? I just realized that there's some weird spots on the black portion of the background as well ... is it possible to remove that altogether and just make it pure black?

Some others more experienced than I may have some better edits, but I just edited this in camera raw- I increased the blacks, brigtness and clarity. Then I cloned out some of the leftover gray spots in photoshop. This is what I came up with. My recommendation would be to re-shoot this though, with all the balls in focus.

_MG_5782.jpg

P.S. forgive the rough edit- some of the spots are left there because my computer screen is so dirty I couldn't tell what was from the screen and what was from the picture :)

echoyjeff222 said:
I took this in our school's mini studio. It has to be in black and white. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some edits in photoshop ... perhaps to reduce the glare? I just realized that there's some weird spots on the black portion of the background as well ... is it possible to remove that altogether and just make it pure black?

The edit margosoriginals did is pretty good. Raising the black slider in camera raw will make your background pure black like margosoriginals edit. Not really sure if the recovery slider would help with the glare but it won't hurt to try. You can try cloning out the glare but it will take some skill and some parts might be almost impossible depending on where the glare is. Next time you do a shoot like this pay attention to the glare on the product. You should be able to move yourself or your product around to get rid of the glare. if you were using the on camera pop up then there might not be anything to do to reduce the glare in camera.

Oh yes, I did use the recovery slider too- it didn't do much

Try the contrast in the editing process to make the balls lighter and the backround darker.

I was actually trying to blur out the last two ... does that detract from the image? My focus was just on the first one.

BTW - how do you actually get rid of the glare? We had limited light materials to work with, and I'm wondering what prevents glare? (good to know for next time)

I was actually trying to blur out the last two ... does that detract from the image?
Yes, I think it totally defeats the intent of the image - a product photo.

If I was the Art Director (AD) at Taylor Made, I would want all the examples of my product in sharp focus. I would also want the company name to be easily readable and not have a bright hot spot from the lighting on the word Made.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back