Product photography. Please help!

kalleg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been struggling for a while now to make a good setup to register items for my portfolio (i am a graphic designer.) It has really been difficult to get it right. I keep feeling that i don't have enough light. My latest setup consists of:

2x100 W 6400K CFL's on the right side (in two soft boxes)
2x85 W 6400K CFL's in the middle and,
4x85 W 6400K CFL's in a big softbox on the left.
Some white deflectors and a grey backdrop

I'm using a Nikon D200 SLR with a Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 PRO D Macro Lens and a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 on a tripod. I shoot manual mode at ISO100, and around aperture 11-16 to get everything sharp. Shutter times are not too long. I use Sofortbild and Photoshop CS4 on a USB connected mac to control the shoot.

In spite of all my efforts, the result still comes out a bit unsharp. I can't say that i'm happy at all. I have to register 3 years of work, and therefore i would like avoid big amounts of retouch.

I have included an image with the setup and zooms of the result.

I hope someone can give me a few pointers to get it better. This is as far my amateur knowledge gets me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Kalle

setup.jpg

First off, most lenses (especially Macro) are sharpest in the center of their apertures. To verify this I did a test with my Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro and what I saw was that I got the sharpest images at f8, at f16 or above diffraction made things blurry.

Good luck!

Allan

I can help! See this website, it's mine and free
ttp://www.learnmyshot.com/ let me know what you think, thanks

Most reactions

Back