Product Photography?

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a company called K&K Sound... I bought some of their equipment and just for fun I'm taking pictures advertizing their product(not officialy)
What do you think of something like this?
I've never really done any product photography so I'm new at advertizing.

kksound1.jpg

This is a transducer that you stick on a drumhead. I've just been trying a few things... this one is the best so far.

I think for product photography, that background is WAY too distracting. I would also like it better if the end wasn't cut off, and if the entire thing was in focus (it's not in focus in the area down in the corner.)

Just my opinion.

i might try taking a picture of it on a drumhead, with a shallow DoF. not necessarily macro, but rather close up. maybe also have someone's hands or the drumsticks playing the drum that it's on. but you'd only show a little bit of them.

this idea is probably terrible, it's just the first thing i thought of :)

core_17 said:
I think for product photography, that background is WAY too distracting.
First thing that crossed my mind.

I agree w/what has been said above but would add, if you go to try this again next time, try and think about other ads and what would make you personally want to buy this product. Who is this company targeting, and what will attract their target audience.

Background has got to be neutral in a product shot. You want to make the user's eye stick to the product and to present it as best as possible. Having a distracting background does not acheive this.

The lighting is quite boring. Besides the single spectral highlight on the front, there is no form to the object. Try working with more lights and reflectors. Especially with black items. A good exercise would be to shoot a black object in front of a black backdrop. Light it so that it stands out from the background by accentuating the shape and texture.

yes... if you want to shoot products you need a nice background and a good lightning. and... and interesting product :D

mentos_007 said:
and... an interesting product :D

well..... it's interesting to me... :p
(probably because I know what it is...)

Thanks everyone!
I don't think I will be doing any product photography anytime soon.... untill I get better that is.... lol

LittleMan said:
well..... it's interesting to me... :p
(probably because I know what it is...)

And that's the problem I'm having. I'm guessing it's some sort of zone mic. I'm a bit of a musician, and more of a product photographer.

I do like the angle created by the cord. And it's not the least interesting product. I don't even find the background so objectionable... just the way it's used here. I would get the product out and away from the background, allowing some creative lighting and separation.

It's a fun departure from the usual landscape or flower. Good effort.

Most products aren't interseting and it's your job as the creative photographer to make them intersting, or at least detailed so that the consumer knows exactly what they're getting. Your not going to buy something that you can't pick-up and look at without seeing a very detailed photo first.

SLOShooter said:
Most products aren't interseting and it's your job as the creative photographer to make them intersting...

I had a job once shooting scores of bolts... yup... metal bolts. Oh, some were slightly bigger. Some were shiney than others. Just down-and-dirty catalog work. [yawn] One after the other.

Did my job. Got more work.

It's not always glamorous.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back