Proper Critique

I always tell people my skill level first. Someone got upset at me cause I was giving people advice without telling them my level of ability, so now I put that in just in case.

I usually just put down what I like, and if something is bothering me, what I don't like. I try not to get into specifics. A person of my skill level really has no base telling people what's specifically wrong with their photos, unless its obvious (like cut off limbs, rule of thirds, etc.). But I do feel confident enough to say that I like certain aspects of it. And hopefully my insight into why I think the photo works, will help them understand what aspects of the shot make it look good.

The best advice I get is when people tell me how to achieve a desired look. For example, I just had a thread where I over sharpened a photo. I learned how to tell if I had over sharpened it, and also what steps to take in order to insure it doesn't happen again. It was some AWESOME feedback.

Critiquing other people's work is the easy part. Looking objectively at your own photos is the awkward one!

You just need to sit down and give the photos a proper look. Where did your eyes first land, and where do they travel from there? How does the image make you feel, and does it fit in with what the creator was trying to achieve? etc. etc.

Look at many, many photos, and identify what works and what doesn't. Read up on composition & the technical side of photography. You'll start picking up basic methods of critique in no time.

You don't have to sit there for 10 minutes picking out every flaw and strength; if you can add one piece of constructive criticism or praise, it'll go a long way.

The point of critique is to help the person improve....
so a good lesson on how NOT to give critique is to simply say it's good or bad. Especially if something needs fixing. (I can't give critique because I'm still learning, so if I like it I let you know ;))

I've learned so much by posting my own photos and hearing how I could have done things differently and how I could improve on what I've already done. Now I'm starting to go over the shoots and write down things I should have done/shouldn't have done.

Being nice always helps too, not sugar coating it... there's a difference between "wow that sucks" and "that's not great... BUT if you did..." No one wants to just be insulted on something they possibly tried their hardest on :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back