Proper Gray Card Usage.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can somebody please clarify for me the proper way to use my new gray card? I understand why it is used but the trouble I am having is with the logistics of using it.

The instructions provide that I should be pointing the camera at the card to take a meter reading off of it, and that I need to take a photo of the card as the first step. The gray card I purchased, however, is a bit small and I cannot get it close enough to the lens to cover the entire area where my camera is pointing. There is always exposed area around the card because I have to hold the card far enough away for the lens to focus on it and the lens is too wide. My D90 will not take a photo if it cannot focus on the subject. Certainly it doesn't mean that I can only do this with a close focusing macro lens...

I'm confused.

Should I be spot metering? Can somebody please help me understand this? Thanks.

Should I be spot metering?
Yes.
It doesn't have to fill the frame or be in focus, but it helps if it is focus.
Auto focus needs contrast to work, so focus on the edge of the card where there is some contrast, not in the middle of the card.

Here are some links I got using the search engine search term "how to use a gray card":
How to Use a Grey Card | eHow.com
Grey Card Instructions
Gray card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
18% Gray Card
ACE Camera Photography Magazine, Using a Light Meter and an 18% Gray Card for Better Photography
About a Grey Card
How to Use a Gray Card in Photography Exposure | The Discerning Photographer

Most reactions

New Topics

Back